Community Wellness Assistant Part-Time/Temporary$25.00 per hour/20 hours per week (4-hour shifts)No benefits available(Maximum hours worked per year not to exceed 1,000 hours
)APPLICATION DEADLINE: Apply by Friday, November 5, 2021 for first consideration THE CITY
is focused on enhancing our community members' quality of life through well-designed services and a positive workplace culture. San Rafael is the economic and cultural heart of Marin County, and its high quality of life is centered on its commercial districts, engaged neighborhoods, active lifestyle, and natural environment. San Rafael (population 59,000) is a full-service city with a city council/city manager form of government with 12 departments, more than 400 employees, and an annual budget of $100 million. The City's vision is to be a vibrant economic and cultural center reflective of its diversity. The City Council is engaged and seeks to strengthen the urban and commercial areas as well as sustain the beautiful natural environment.
San Rafael's Organizational culture framework is an initiative called "Together San Rafael."
City employees are our greatest asset, and we seek talented individuals with diverse backgrounds who are creative, curious, and excited about a challenge. We are a results-driven team focused on the needs of community members. The Together San Rafael initiative is focused
on modernizing City services and increasing the engagement of employees. This initiative recognizes the interconnectedness of the customer and employee experience. THE POSITION:
Do you want to make a difference in your community? Do you enjoy working with a team of seasoned professionals to provide a vital community resource? Do you like both interacting with people and like the public library and what it represents? Become the next Community Wellness Assistant with the City of San Rafael's Public Library. Your job will be to proactively promote wellness within the downtown library by helping patrons abide by the rules of behavior and, at the same time, being prepared to distribute information about community resources to people in need of social services. Imagine yourself starting your day by greeting library regulars by name while circulating throughout the library and grounds to promote wellness. You will be supervised by the Library, trained by the San Rafael Police Department and work closely as an intern to the Police Mental Health Liaison Lynn Murphy and comfort dog Blue.
The City of San Rafael has been active in initiatives to address homelessness including supporting the Downtown Streets Team, Marin Mobile Showers, Marin Homeless Outreach Team and most recently implementation of a Service Support Area. The Community Wellness Intern will be another part of proactively responding to community needs. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (including but not limited to):
- Patrol library floors and exterior of the building and lobby and exterior of City Hall for the purpose of actively engaging with the community to proactively prevent violations of applicable codes and ordinances to maintain a safe and secure Library and City Hall campus.
- Works extensively with people experiencing homelessness and builds positive relationships working closely with the San Rafael Police Department's Mental Health Liaison.
- Assists in promoting compliance with Library rules of behavior and assists Library staff with providing a welcoming, secure, and safe Library and City Hall experience for all.
- Addresses behavior concerns in a manner that de-escalates problems in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Provides a direct link to the police department by requesting officers for reports or incidents as needed while constantly communicating with the City's Mental Health Liaison.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Customer Service Values
- Knowledge of Library Strategic Plan, Customer Service Values, Social Services Safety Net and general positive customer service approach.
- Service Techniques
- San Rafael Police Department Vision
- Knowledge of safe work practices
- Knowledge of common computer applications such as email and internet searching
- Ability to work irregular hours, including nights and weekends
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Ability to work effectively and courteously with all members of the public, including people of diverse cultural, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Enrollment in or completed coursework in a social services or community focused organization or program is highly desirable
- Work experience requiring public contact and interpretation of general rules and regulations
- Experience assisting or volunteering in a community focused or community outreach or social services organization is highly desirable.
- Must have a demonstrated personal history of being able to live harmoniously with others.
Employees must be able to maintain the physical condition necessary for performing the assigned duties, which may include sitting or standing for extended periods of time. Employees must be able to remain alert and coherent and to take or to decide between alternative courses of action under routine, highly stressful, or environmentally difficult conditions. Employees work indoors and outdoors, in direct contact with other City personnel and the public, without close supervision. APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS: City of San Rafael application is required.
Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the examination process. The examination process may include any or all of the following: Application appraisal, oral board examination, and written examination. The passing point for the oral and/or written examination final score will be 70%. Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a background check, DMV check and fingerprinting. To file an application, go to www.calopps.org
. Select "Member Agencies". Select "City of San Rafael". For more information on the City of San Rafael, go to www.cityofsanrafael.org
. Follow this link to submit your application:https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-20173470 Reasonable Accommodation:
The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at 415-485-3474 no later than seven (7) calendar days before the test date.
Job PDF: Community Wellness Assistant Job Announcement.pdf
NO BENEFITS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS POSITION
Contact email: email@example.com
Closing Date/Time: Until filled