Definition and Class Characteristics
Tentative Interview Date: November 18, 2021Hiring part-time Temporary Attorney specifically to prosecute cases in the Collaboration Courts including Drug Court and Mental Health Court
Ready to be part of the criminal justice field and working in an organization that supports the public safety of our community? The District Attorney's Office is hiring an attorney II to prosecute cases in the Nevada County Collaboration Courts. There is coordination and collaboration with Justice Partners including Probation, Nevada County Superior Court, Public Defender and all Nevada County Law Enforcement Agencies.
This position will be focused on a collaborative court caseload that includes mental health court, adult drug court and DUI court. Assignments in the class require experience in the criminal justice system. The ideal candidate will be comfortable and proficient in the use of technology as management of case information, evidence and information exchange is digital.
Examples of Duties include:
- Interviews complaints, victims, witnesses and clients
- Prepares and participates in pleadings, arraignments, pre-trial agreements, motions, trials, responsive declarations, detention or asset seizure hearings, negotiations with opposing counsel and the courts.
- Litigates criminal cases in court from start to finish including but not limited to conducting preliminary hearings, jury trails, and various evidentiary hearings.
- Reviews law, regulations and judicial decisions
- Performs legal research
- Participates in continuing education
- Principles and practices of criminal law
- Legal research methods, practices and materials
- Rules of the courts, policies, procedures, and precedent decisions
- Trial and hearing procedures and rules of evidence
- The State Penal, Health and Safety, Vehicle, Corporation (related to criminal), Welfare and Institutions, Business and Professions, Evidence and Family Codes
- Analyzing and preparing a variety of legal documents and instruments
- Preparing and communicating clear and logical oral and written statements of fact, law and argument
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Using computer technology and applications in the performance of daily activities
- Initiating online research queries using current computer search engine functions and the use of legal data bases
- Adapting to changing priorities and requirements in a fast paced legal environment
- Effectively interacting with individuals from various socio-economic, cultural, behavioral and environmental settings
Ideal candidate must possess a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and graduation from an ABA, AALS, or CA State Bar-accredited law school AND eighteen months of experience practicing criminal law . In addition, must be an active member of the California State Bar Association. Valid driver's license within 30 days of hire.
Why Nevada County? Our county leadership values employee development and engagement, promotes open and transparent communication, and recognizes our contributions. Our leadership connects with the community, listens to them, and provides significant programming to keep us safe and healthy.
The District Attorney's Office is a team of dynamic individuals who work together closely to fight for justice on behalf of the citizens of Nevada County. It is our responsibility to make sure the innocent are not wrongfully convicted and that the guilty are held accountable.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided with reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
For a review of the entire job spec, click here
.Closing Date/Time: Continuous