CITY OF FAIRFIELD
Now accepting applications for
EQUIPMENT MECHANIC SENIOR
The Public Works Department Fleet Division is hiring for 2 vacancies.
The department is a nationally recognized professional organization that has been voted one of the top 100 Best Government Fleets in North America for over 10 years! The ideal candidate is a self-motivated team player with great customer service and organizational skills, knowledgeable with the equipment, parts, tools, materials, diagnostic abilities, repair techniques, and supplies used in a diverse range of City equipment and thrives in a fast-paced environment.
Compensation & Benefits
$36.90 - $45.98 (Hourly)
$6,396 - $7,969 (Monthly)
$76,753 - $95,627 (Annually)
Maximum salary posted includes a 2.5% night shift differential pay incentive (applicable if assigned to the night shift)
This classification is represented by the Fairfield Employees' Association (FEA). Our excellent benefits package includes:
- CalPERS pension eligibility
- Generous contributions to medical, dental, and vision plans
- 3 medical carriers to choose from: Kaiser, Sutter Health or Western Health
- Monthly employee premium as low as $97 for Kaiser family plan
- 32 hours of personal leave annually, which is 100% cashable, plus vacation and sick leave
- City paid life insurance, deferred compensation and retirement health savings contributions
- A 9/80 work schedule
To access the Benefit Summary Sheet for the Fairfield Employee's Association, click here.
The successful Equipment Mechanic Senior candidate will lead, oversee, monitor and perform the more difficult and complex duties, including maintenance, fabrication and repair work for the City’s fleets, equipment, facilities and tools. This recruitment will fill 2 vacancies, including 1 day shift position and 1 night shift position. The night shift will be assigned to work 3:00 p.m. - 12:30 a.m. and will receive a 2.5% shift differential pay (night shift only).
- Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent is
- Three (3) years of journey-level experience in servicing, maintaining and repairing vehicles and/or related machinery and equipment are
Licenses and/or Certificates
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid class C California driver's license is
- Possession of a valid Class A with manual transmission, air brake, passenger and tanker endorsement must be obtained within six (6) months from the date of
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certifications are highly
Examples of Duties
The major responsibilities of the position are listed below:
To view the complete job description, please visit governmentjobs.com/careers/fairfieldfairfield/classspecs
- Provide direction and assign duties; provide training and assist with reviewing work performance; ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local law codes and regulations, rules, policies and procedures; resolve on-the-job problems as they
- Inspect, operate, repair, modify, overhaul and maintain a variety of light and heavy duty equipment, including automobiles, trucks, buses, graders, backhoes, rollers, forklifts, landscape equipment, street sweepers and cranes; tear down motors; overhaul engines, transmissions, clutches, differentials, carburetors, generators and
- Use a variety of computer and electronic equipment to diagnose and repair problems in electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, brake, transmission, emission and air/heating
- Perform diagnosis, repair and installation of vehicle electrical and communication
- Inspect, operate, repair, modify, overhaul and maintain a variety of gasoline, electric and pneumatic and hydraulic
Knowledge and Abilities
- Methods, materials, equipment and tools used in the maintenance and repair of vehicles and related equipment, facilities and
- Applicable federal, state and local laws codes and
- H.P. passenger transportation handbook.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety
- Inspect vehicles and equipment to diagnose mechanical, electrical and hydraulic problems, and determine corrective
- Ensure safe equipment operation and work practices; provide related training as
- Work from blueprints, schematics, drawings or construction
- Provide own hand tools as required by the
- Estimate time and materials needed for
- Work independently as well as train and motivate lower-level
- Maintain accurate records and prepare
The Selection Process
Based on the information provided in the application documents, the best-qualified applicants will be invited for further examination. All applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. Depending upon the number of applications received, the examination may consist of an application screening, written and/or practical exam, oral interview, or any combination. This position requires a local records check, response to a medical questionnaire, and a pre-employment medical exam prior to appointment.
To learn more and apply, visit:
City of Fairfield is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and professionalism.
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.