Position Scope ***RECRUITMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED***
Under close supervision, performs routine semi-skilled and skilled maintenance, repairs and operations of water production sites water distribution lines, wastewater treatment facilities orcollections systems and lines.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties ARE NOT
intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Samples/monitors water and wastewater using specialized equipment.
- Performs routine water line repairs and maintenance; plumbing work; installs and repairs water and sewer lines; installs, maintains and repairs water meters and hydrants.
- Performs daily facility inspections of well sites, water production sites, wastewater treatment facilities, and collection systems.
- Operates wastewater treatment and sludge processing disposal equipment.
- Operates a variety of equipment including; pumps, motors, chlorinators, meters, air compressors, blowers, valves and gates.
- Operates a variety of trucks and equipment in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures.
- Performs semi-skilled and skilled construction, maintenance and manual labor; duties will vary according to job assignment.
- Collects and delivers water and wastewater samples to laboratory.
- Picks up and delivers materials as directed.
- Completes required daily documentation, logs and reports.
- Must be available for emergency on call rotation.
- Performs field tests for physical or chemical parameters.
- Performs daily data entry and record keeping.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Minimum Qualifications & Position Requirements Education and Experience:
High School diploma or GED equivalent; and possession of a Water/Wastewater Operator I Certification from ADEQ or the ability to acquire within one year of hire; OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
One (1) year of water/wastewater maintenance and operations experience preferred.Necessary Knowledge, Skills Set and Abilities:Knowledge of:
- City policies and procedures.
- Principles and practices of water and wastewater operations.
- Equipment maintenance and repair methods and materials.
- Safety standards and practices.
- Traffic laws and rules involved in vehicle and equipment operation.
- Principles of basic documentation and record keeping.
- Safe and efficient operation of vehicles and equipment according to standard operating and safety procedures.
- Reading and interpreting maps, technical specifications and operations manuals for vehicles and operational equipment.
- Interpreting and effectively communicating both verbal and written instructions.
- Create and maintain accurate information.
- Observe, compare, and monitor data to determine compliance with prescribed operating, regulatory or safety standards.
- Enter data or information using a terminal, PC or other keyboard device.
- Learn new computer applications.
- Move heavy objects (50 pounds or more) short distances (20 feet or less).
- Perceive the full range of the color spectrum.
- Work outside on uneven surfaces in extreme temperatures.
Additional Information Special Requirements:
Grade I Certification, from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality in one or more of the following disciplines: Water Distribution, Water/Wastewater Treatment or Wastewater Collection or the ability to acquire within one (1) year of employment. After-hours, shift, weekends and on-call work may be required. This position requires employees to be on-call on a rotating basis. On-call employees must be available to respond to the job-site within one (1) hour from the time they receive the call. Possession of a valid Arizona Driving License is required. Possession of a valid Arizona Commercial Driver's License or the ability to obtain one in 6 months may be required.Physical Demands / Work Environment:
Work is performed outdoors in inclement weather and in public facilities.Reports To
: Water Resources Supervisor or other supervisory staff.Supervision Exercised:
Employee Benefits & Wellness
The City offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time classified and management employees. Part-time classified employees may be eligible for select benefits where defined.
For complete Benefit Plan & Wellness Information, please visit the City website at:
Benefits & Wellness
City benefit plans are subject to change at any time.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous