California State Polytechnic University, Pomona invites applications for a tenure track faculty position of Assistant Professor in the Department of International Business and Marketing. Cal Poly Pomona is one of two polytechnic universities in the 23-campus California State University system and among 11 such institutions nationwide. Since its founding in 1938, Cal Poly Pomona students participate in an integrative experiential learning education that is inclusive, relevant, and values diverse perspectives and experiences. With a variety of degree programs in the arts, humanities, sciences, engineering, and professional disciplines, the university is well known for its learn-by-doing approach and Teacher Scholar Model.
The university is noted for its scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, which was once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg. We acknowledge that Cal Poly Pomona resides on the territorial and homelands of the Tongva and Tataavium people who are the traditional land caretakers of Tovaangar. The university's nearly 30,000 students are taught and mentored by the campus's more than 1,400 faculty as part of 54 baccalaureate and 29 master's degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in educational leadership.
Highly regarded among its peer institutions, Cal Poly Pomona is No. 2 in the U.S. News and World Report rankings of top public regional universities in the west and was named the No. 15 best value college in the nation by Money Magazine. Cal Poly Pomona, a Hispanic-Serving Institution and an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution, stands as a national leader in promoting social mobility, and was placed among the 25 top institutions in the country in awarding bachelor's degrees to minoritized students by Diverse Issues in Higher Education.
The Cal Poly Pomona campus is located less than 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles at the intersection of Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties. It is within an hour's drive of beaches, mountains and deserts. For additional information about the university, please visit www.cpp.edu, and for more about faculty life, please see YourLife@CPP.
Student Population. California residents comprise the majority (96%) of applicants to undergraduate programs at Cal Poly Pomona - nearly half (49%) of new students were transfers in Fall 2020. 58% of Cal Poly Pomona students are first generation, 70% receive financial aid, and 44% qualify as Pell-eligible. The university enrolls a diverse student body that identifies as 49% Latinx, 21% Asian, 15% White, 3% Black, 5% International 3% two or more races, 3% unknown and less than 1% Native Hawaiian or Native Pacific Islander and less than 1% Native American Indigenous. 39% of the student body were STEM majors with the top enrolled programs including psychology, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, biology and computer science.
Inclusive Excellence Criteria. We aspire to be the model inclusive polytechnic university in the nation. We have a strong commitment to inclusive excellence and to educational experiences that leverage the diverse perspectives and experiences needed to succeed and thrive in a diverse society.
Tenure track faculty hires will demonstrate a commitment and record of contributions through their teaching, scholarship, or service to these inclusive excellence criteria (a minimum of two must be addressed in the Student Success Statement):
1. Integrates the values of equity and inclusivity into their teaching, scholarship and/or service contributions with diverse student populations;
2. Incorporates the contributions and struggles of historic ethnic minority groups and communities into their teaching, scholarly work, and/or service contributions;
3. Adopts teaching strategies that supports the learning and success of students from diverse student populations;
4. Mentors and engages diverse student populations in discovery, scholarship, and creative activities;
5. Engages students in problem-based projects and learning that address the needs of diverse communities;
6. Possesses knowledge of challenges and barriers for underrepresented students and faculty within the discipline;
7. Mentors and assists diverse student populations interested in pursuing graduate education;
8. Engages in community-responsive action research or service with diverse student populations and communities;
9. Has experience in or demonstrates a commitment to adopting experiential learning activities and pedagogy with diverse student populations and communities; and
10. Has expertise in or demonstrated commitment to teaching, scholarship and/or service that contributes to access, diversity, and equal opportunity in higher education.
College of Business Administration
The College of Business Administration is accredited at both the undergraduate and graduate levels by AACSB International - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. The College offers comprehensive undergraduate programs as well as MBA, MSA (MS in Accountancy), MSIS (MS in Information Security), and MSBA (MS in Business Analytics). The College occupies a state-of-the-art, three-building complex housing over 100 faculty and staff, classrooms, lecture halls, labs, conference rooms and student club rooms, among others. The college has nine centers and labs, including the Center for Customer Insights and Digital Marketing, the Center for Consultative Selling, the Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and NASACPP Business Startup Program, where IBM faculty members collaborate within and across disciplines for research and innovative educational programs.
International Business and Marketing Department
IBM is one of six departments in the CPP College of Business Administration, which serves over 6,000 students. The IBM Department has approximately 17 full-time faculty members and about 1,300 majors, 900 of whom focus on one of six career-tracks in marketing and 400 of whom specialize in some area of international business. The faculty holds Ph.D. degrees from some of the top research universities in the U.S. Most of the faculty collaborate on research projects, and publish in peer reviewed journals. Our faculty embraces the Teacher-Scholar model. We demonstrate academic quality, relevance and excellence through teaching, learning, scholarship, and creative activities committed to serving a diverse student body. The department has recently received an approval to develop an MS in Digital Marketing program to add to the college's growing portfolio of master's programs.
• Ph.D. in Marketing or other related field from an accredited university. ABDs will be considered, but Ph.D. must be earned by the start of the appointment.
• A Student Success Statement that demonstrates your commitment and record of contributions through applicant's teaching, scholarship, or service, by addressing at least two of the inclusive excellence criteria listed above. (Limit to 2 pages)
• Demonstrated potential as a strong teacher-scholar by:
o Providing evidence of exemplary teaching commensurate with experience (at least one year of teaching experience in core marketing courses is required)
o Demonstrating a commitment to publishing in peer-reviewed journals in their area of expertise (publishing in peer-reviewed journals listed in Cabell's or on the Australian Business Deans' Journal List)
• Demonstrated experience in or clear ability to teach specialty courses in at least one of these areas:
o Innovation, Branding, and entrepreneurship
o Entertainment/Events and destination marketing
o Marketing Research/Big Data, Customer Analytics, AI and Machine Learning / Text Mining and Analytics
o Digital and Social Media Marketing / Database Marketing
o International Business
• At least 3 years of industry experience in marketing
• Experience with outreach to industry
• Experience in current practices involving marketing and ability to develop courses and collaborate in research
Conditions of Employment:
The person offered this position is required to pass a background check.
Application materials must be submitted online via Interfolio.
General questions can be submitted to the following email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A complete application package consists of copies of the following:
1. Cover letter clearly stating candidate's expertise pertaining to the position
2. A current curriculum vitae
3. Five references with contact information
4. Evidence of excellence in teaching and research, as demonstrated by a record of excelling in teaching and research and/or a well-articulated teaching philosophy and well-thought-out research agenda
5. A Student Success Statement as specified above
6. A completed academic employment form (sent in PDF file with original signature):
To be included in the first review, completed applications must be received by October 15, 2021 after which a formal screening of completed files will start and continue until the position is filled.
Finalists for the position will be required to:
1. Provide three letters of recommendation dated within the past two years
2. Provide an official transcript with highest degree earned
3. Teach a marketing class as a guest speaker
4. Conduct a research presentation
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled