Description Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on October 18, 2021 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
Would you like to join a progressive hospital organization where your contributions are valued and recognized? Are you ready for the next step in your healthcare career? If you answered "yes," this may be the opportunity for you!
Through growth and change, San Mateo County Health System remains committed to provide quality medical care to meet the health needs of the community. We are excited about our employees and the commitment they demonstrate to serve our community. Our commitment is to providing quality care with a compassionate touch and we strive to help you maintain a balance between work and family. San Mateo Medical Center, a 231-bed acute care facility, has been providing healthcare to our community and surrounding service area since 1930.
The SMMC Laboratory is looking for experienced Medical Laboratory Technicians (MLT)
to join our talented team of laboratory professionals. Under supervision, MLTs perform waived and moderately complex laboratory tests and procedures to provide data used in the diagnosis and therapeutic management of disease. Clinical areas include: hematology, chemistry, microbiology, coagulation, and blood banking. Positions are available for Medical Laboratory Technicians licensed in California for extra help shifts, including evening and night. Experienced hospital generalists are encouraged to apply. The ideal candidate will possess:
There is currently one Regular, Full-Time vacancy for the evening shift from 4:00 PM to 12:30 AM and one Extra Help, Full-Time vacancy.NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
- A current Medical Laboratory Technician license issued by the State of California.
- An Associate's Degree, or higher, in a related field.
- Work-related experience in a hospital laboratory environment.
- The ability to work well with others while promoting teamwork and a positive work environment.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
Examples Of Duties Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare specimens and conduct chemical analysis of body fluids, such as blood and urine.
- Perform qualitative and quantitative analysis of blood and urines using standard procedures.
- Perform blood counts, coagulation studies, sed-rates, and kit waived tests.
- Perform chemistry, immunochemistry, and therapeutic drug testing.
- Report negative urine cultures and other moderately complex microbiology tests.
- Analyze, record and report test data accurately and within established timeframes and quality control standards.
- Perform calibration and maintenance on instrumentation.
- Perform and record required quality controls and quality assurance assessments.
- Participate in required proficiency testing programs and required laboratory inspection surveys.
- Prepare blood components, solutions and reagents to be combined with samples, following standardized formulas and procedures.
- Perform venous and skin punctures to obtain blood samples for test purposes.
- Provide oversight of phlebotomy, students, specimen processing, and reference lab send outs.
- Perform and maintain quality requirements of waived CLIA tests including dipstick UAs, pregnancy, fecal occult blood tests and mononucleosis, strep antigen, and RSV testing.
- Orient and train new employees.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Qualifications Knowledge of:
Laboratory concepts, techniques and practices used in moderately complex laboratory testing; operation and care of laboratory equipment and instrumentation; quality control and quality assurance concepts, standards and practices; automated chemistry analyzers and related systems; proper and safe handling and disposal of laboratory specimens, chemicals and hazardous wastes; phlebotomy and specimen processing techniques; and relevant terminologies used in the profession. Skill/Ability to:
Perform a wide variety of waived and moderately complex laboratory testing within prescribed procedures; tactfully and patiently collect specimens from patients and process laboratory orders; train others in laboratory procedures; make judgments in evaluating the validity of completed laboratory tests; maintain and analyze quality control programs; understand and follow written and oral directions, procedures or instructions; maintain accurate records of test data results, and prepare factual reports in a timely manner; and set up, maintain, calibrate, clean and test sterility of medical laboratory equipment. Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is an associate's degree and at least one year of related experience. Licensure/Certification:
Possession of a Medical Laboratory Technician license issued by the State of California.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to our standard County employment application.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (pass/fail) based on the candidate's application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT
: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply"
button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department. Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.
~ TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE ~
Final Date for Filing: Continuous At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
HR Contact: Ximena Burns (10042021) (Medical Laboratory Technician - F157)
Keywords: lab technician, data analysis, testing, quality control, quality assurance, chemistry, phlebotomy, specimen processing, medical