JOB SUMMARY Hiring Range: $17.55 - $20.65Full Range: $17.55 - $23.75
Under the direction of a crew leader be able to perform semi-skilled and skilled tasks in the construction, maintenance and repair of the Town water and wastewater lines and related facilities. Employees within this title shall perform a full range of duties as assigned under general supervision. This level receives only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise, and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies.EXAMPLES OF DUTIES Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Essential Job Functions:
- Receives immediate supervision from upper level supervisory staff.
- May provide functional and technical supervision to subordinate maintenance staff.
- Maintain system and repair problems occurring within the water distribution and wastewater collection system.
- Dig up valves, water and wastewater lines; locate broken valves, water line leaks and breaks; assist in repairs; refill trenches after repairs have been made.
- Fill water meter boxes with sand and gravel during rainy weather to improve drainage from meter box so that meters can be read.
- Ensure that safety apparel is worn at all times and that safety rules and practices are observed in the performance of duties.
- Assist in clearing wastewater lines and washing out wastewater lines and manholes.
- Perform minor vehicle maintenance on assigned Town vehicle.
- Set and raise or lower water meter boxes; locate water valve leaks.
- Respond to service calls concerning Water and Wastewater Utilities emergencies or problems on a stand-by basis, work to reduce state of emergency and correct problems, perform overtime duties as necessary or required in order to maintain proper functioning order as assigned.
- Assist in installing water and wastewater taps for new service.
- Perform meter pulls and service turn on/off for non-pays or repairs as requested.
- Operation and use of a variety of tools and equipment.
- Principles and practices of equipment maintenance and repair.
- Standard procedures for assigned division.
- Properly know techniques for applying paint to various surfaces.
- Hazards associated with the work and proper safety precautions.
- Modern construction methods and practices.
- Techniques for mixing, pouring and finishing concrete.
QUALIFICATIONS Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Lifting techniques for minimizing physical injury.
- Perform physical requirements of the job.
- Perform work in an undesirable or hazardous environment including inclement weather, confined spaces, improper illumination and traffic.
- Establish and maintain cooperative-working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Operate and use a variety of tools, machinery and equipment relevant to work assignments.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
ADDITIONAL DETAILS Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Possession of a valid Class C driver's license and obtain a CDL within six months of employment.
- Must pass a MVR check.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screening.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Regularly required to sit and use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Regularly required to reach with hands and arms.
- Regularly required to stand; walk; climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk and hear.
- Frequently required to lift or move up to 100 pounds.
- Vision required includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Regularly works in outside weather conditions and is regularly exposed to extreme cold and extreme heat.
- Regularly works near moving mechanical parts.
- Regularly exposed to vibration.
- Occasionally works in high, precarious places and with explosives.
- Frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and risk of radiation.
- Noise level is from moderate to very loud. Must have the abiliy to maintain concentration in the midst of interruptions and background noise.