The purpose of this position is to protect the safety and health of the citizens of Grand Prairie through the inspection of new and old structures. This is accomplished by performing field inspections; completing paperwork for inspections; and reviewing building permits. Other duties include driving to job sites; writing field reports; and interacting with other City employees and citizens. Essential Job Functions
- Performs field inspections of residential construction by driving to job sites; walking and looking at the construction of the building; inspecting electrical wiring, mechanical ducts, framing, and plumbing; and ensuring corrections to construction are performed in a timely manner.
- Completes paperwork for inspections by entering inspection information into computer system; tracking inspections; writing field reports; and reviewing plans for residential construction, remodels, and additions.
- Reviews building permits by evaluating permits to see what code requirements are needed for different structures; reviewing case history; and approving or denying permits.
- High school diploma or GED with courses in building trades
- Over two (2) years experience in the building construction field as an apprentice carpenter, apprentice plumber, apprentice electrician, related crafts person, or building trades inspector.
- Ability to obtain a State of Texas Plumbing Inspector certification within 1 year of hire date.
- Knowledge of construction codes & basic principles and techniques of building inspection work required.
- Possession of a valid Texas class C driver's license required
- Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to deal with system of real numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names, and addresses. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- The employee normally performs the duty assignment according to his or her own judgment, requesting supervisory assistance only when necessary. The assignment may be reviewed upon completion. Performance is reviewed periodically.
- No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
- Work is governed by broad instructions, objectives and policies. Requires the exercise of considerable initiative and independent analytical and evaluative judgment.
- Persuasion Very Frequent: More than 51% of work time.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous