JOB SUMMARYThis position is open until filled, with next review of applications on December 15, 2021. JOB SUMMARY
Coordinates, performs, and assists in supervising the maintenance and construction of the City's water/wastewater systems and related equipment; operates heavy equipment and maintains various types of maintenance equipment and tools; prepares and maintains departmental maintenance records; provides training and supervises the work activities of assigned personnel; and performs other related duties.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Participates in maintaining the City's water distribution and wastewater collection systems:
- Installs and performs preventative maintenance to water/wastewater mains and services, wastewater taps, water meters, fire hydrants, wastewater service clean outs, and wastewater sample ports.
- Maintains chemical sites used to manage grease control.
- Utilizes Global Positioning System (GPS) to record the location of water/wastewater mains, vales, cleanouts, fire hydrants, meters, and meter boxes.
- Conducts wastewater main and service line inspections using closed circuit television equipment.
- Participates in the repair, testing, and replacement of water meters.
- Performs utility locates and all necessary tasks associated with utility locates.
- Operates and maintains work order and/or line locate request management systems.
Provides training and supervises the activities of field crew personnel; assigns work duties; monitors the progress and quality of work performed; prepares and maintains crew work schedules. Performs data entry; updates and maintains departmental records and databases; inputs work order and field data information; captures data from monitors and inspections. Miscellaneous:
- Interacts and communicates with the public when conducting field work.
- Operates and maintains crew vehicles and equipment; conducts vehicle inspections.
- Attends and participates in meetings and training courses.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications) MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Trains and supervises the work activities of assigned personnel.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS CORE COMPETENCIES
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Water/wastewater maintenance experience is preferred.
- Class "D" Water or Class I Wastewater Collection certification is required within two (2) years of employment.
- Class II Wastewater Collection and Class C Water Distribution certifications are required within four (4) years of employment or one and one-half (1½) years after internal promotion.
- A Class A Commercial Driver's License is required within six (6) months of employment.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
- Required to perform after hours standby duties.
- Must be able to respond within 1 hour for emergency calls.
- Must be able to read/comprehend municipal policies, equipment instruction/ training manuals, and maps.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City departments and personnel, outside agencies, contractors, vendors, and the general public.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical requirements include lifting up to 80 pounds occasionally. Subject to vision and hearing constantly; standing, walking, lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, reaching and handling frequently; sitting, fine dexterity, kneeling, crouching, bending, twisting, climbing, balancing, talking and foot controls occasionally; crawling rarely.
Working conditions involve occasional exposure to variable and/or extreme weather conditions, vehicle traffic, heavy equipment, open trenches, confined spaces, hazardous chemicals, and infectious diseases. Utilizes confined space equipment or other personal protective equipment as required. Safety Sensitive Position.
8 a.m.-5 p.m., M-F, on call