Assistant ProfessorDepartment: Starting Date:
Fall 2022 Minimum Qualifications
- Ph.D. in Spanish with an emphasis in Afro Latin American Literature and/or Culture / Advanced A.B.D. candidates will be considered, with a Ph.D. required to be conferred by the start of employment
- Demonstrated success working with a diverse student population.
- Native or near-native proficiency in Spanish and English.
- Evidence of a strong research agenda.
- Expertise in Literature/Culture of people of African descent in Latin America.
- Ability to deliver wide range of courses in Spanish (Heritage Students, composition, Latin American literature/culture)
- Ability to contribute to the curriculum through the development of new courses
- Evidence of successful teaching experience at the undergraduate level.
- Experience with High Impact Pedagogy and/or Service Learning.
- The successful candidate will contribute to and participate in the life, development, and growth of the Department of Modern Language Studies through engagement in departmental activities; collaboration with university, industry, and community partners; recruitment; and other services.
- Successful candidates are expected to participate in college and university governance, advise students, participate on committees, and demonstrate a commitment to diversity and equity in education. The teaching portfolio includes graduate courses and undergraduate courses in introductory Spanish, Spanish for Heritage Speakers, Spanish composition, literature and culture of Afro descendants and Afro Latin America, the development of new courses in this field.
Click Apply Now to complete the CSUSM Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Cover letter specifically addressing minimum and preferred qualifications.
- Curriculum vitae.
- A double space one-page research statement
- A double space one-page teaching philosophy
- Three professional references.
Review of applications will begin November 15, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled.
The University is particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups.
CSUSM has been designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and was recently named one of the top 32 Colleges most friendly to junior faculty by the Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education. Visit Faculty Opportunities
for more information.
California State University San Marcos is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation and veteran or military status.
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised December 22, 2020
as a condition of employment.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy, can be found at CSU Covid Policy
. Questions should be sent to the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is subject to employment verification, education verification, reference checks and criminal record checks. An offer of appointment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, including a criminal records check, and may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act or Clery Act Notification can be found at Clery Act Notification
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled