Description: Department of Psychology
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
The Department of Psychology at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Health Disparities with appointment to begin Fall 2022. This position is in the Department of Psychology. CSUF is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research, and/or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community.
California State University, Fullerton is a minority-serving institution, and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum, and fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their teaching, research, advising, and other activities are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences in this area. Individuals advancing the University's strategic diversity goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply. Position
Candidates are expected to teach courses in psychology that may include, but are not limited to: Health Psychology, Psychology of Inequality, and other courses within their area of expertise. Candidates should also show potential for developing other courses relevant to the faculty member's area of expertise within health disparities. Additionally, candidates must conduct research that incorporates issues relevant to health disparities, such as (but not limited to) social determinants of health, systemic factors contributing to health disparities, and ways to promote health equity for marginalized and underserved groups. Candidates must also demonstrate the ability to mentor and support both undergraduate and graduate students from diverse backgrounds. This position is for a psychologist with a strong emphasis in both teaching and research. Applicants focusing on health disparities from any area of psychology are encouraged to apply (e.g., health, social, clinical, counseling, community). The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to and participate in the life and development of the department, advise students, serve on committees, and participate in the broader university and disciplinary communities. Required Qualifications
- Ph.D. in Psychology or a related field. ABDs may apply, but must show evidence that the degree will be completed by the appointment date
- Demonstrated experience and interest in topics related to health disparities
- Excellent teaching at the college level
- Demonstrated ability to conduct scholarship that leads to publication or other valuable forms of dissemination and/or external funding
- A commitment to developing a strong research program that involves undergraduate and graduate students
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population - The Psychology Department and CSUF have a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty, and strongly encourage applications from minority and underrepresented groups
A complete on-line application must be received by electronic submission to be considered. To apply, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/Faculty.php
to apply for requisition #505034
, and provide the following required materials:
- Cover letter in which you respond to the required qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- Transcripts from highest degree earned (Unofficial transcripts to be accepted during application process. Official transcripts required upon start of appointment if selected).
- Research statement in which you describe your research program and discuss how students can be incorporated into your research
- Teaching portfolio including a teaching statement, course syllabi, and other indicators of teaching excellence, submitted as a single pdf
- Candidate statement on Commitment to Inclusive Excellence in which you describe your past efforts and future plans to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion in your teaching, research, and service (approximately one page, single-spaced)
- A list of three references with relevant contact information
- Finalists will be required to have three letters of recommendation submitted. Please have these ready for the referents to submit. On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. At the appropriate time in the search process, they will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back into your applicant portal.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Kristin Beals (Search Committee Chair: email@example.com
) or Melinda Blackman (Department Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
) or call 657-278-3589. Application Deadline
To be assured full consideration, all application materials must be received by October 31, 2021
. The anticipated appointment date is August 15, 2022. The College:
The mission of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at California State University, Fullerton is to educate students to be culturally, globally, socially, historically and environmentally astute, civically responsible alumni able to navigate an increasingly complex and interconnected world.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences' departments and programs offer students the breadth of a traditional liberal arts education in the humanities and social sciences while preparing them for a wide range of professions, for graduate school, and for advanced professional study in fields such as law, education, public administration, clinical psychology, and business. Students who graduate with a degree from H&SS are assured of having depth of understanding in their field of study and the useful core skills that are most attractive to prospective employers and to success in graduate school. Faculty members in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences are committed teacher-scholars who bring research and creative discovery to life for students in classrooms, labs, and individually mentored projects. The College of Humanities and Social Sciences is committed to the University's strategic plan objective to "increase the number of tenured and tenure-track faculty, with a concentrated attention to those from historically underrepresented groups."
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences is the largest college at Cal State Fullerton, offering 23 undergraduate degrees, 38 minors, and 15 graduate degrees. The 20 departments and programs employ over 450 faculty and 50 staff members serving more than 7,500 students and annually awarding over 2,000 degrees. For more information about the college, please go to http://hss.fullerton.edu/
. The Department
The Psychology Department is one of the largest on campus with over 2,700 majors. We offer the B.A. in Psychology as well as Master's degrees in general experimental and in clinical psychology. Both master's programs require a thesis. The department serves a diverse student body, many of whom are involved in one or more student groups, including the Latinx Student Psychological Association (LSPA) and the Psychology Association of Graduate Students of Color and Allies (PAGSOCA). Our students bring a wealth of knowledge and diverse experiences into the classroom, making for a dynamic and engaging learning environment.
We currently have 28 full-time faculty
with a wide range of research interests and expertise. Colleagues who share interests with psychology faculty are found in many other departments including African American Studies, Child and Adolescent Studies, Human Services, Counseling, Management, Linguistics, and Biology. The department prides itself on the extent to which faculty are able to combine teaching and research and involve students in research activities.
The department has research space allocated for faculty research. We also have a videotaping room. Every faculty member has an office computer connected to a campus network and the Internet. In addition to the department computer laboratory, there are open student computer labs located in several buildings on campus. Additional Information
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications and is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be formally offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
All semi-finalist and finalist interviews will be via zoom.
Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator (http://www.fullerton.edu/titleix/about/notice.php)
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to email@example.com
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled