San Francisco State University, Department of Computer Science offers an exciting opportunity for two tenure-track Assistant Professor positions beginning August 2022. We seek colleagues whose teaching and research interests include HPC, Theory of Computation or CS Approaches Against Social Inequities; other areas will also be considered. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, through their commitment to a diverse student population, to the excellence of the academic community.
The Department of Computer Science is in a period of expansion and is currently home to 15 tenure/tenure-track faculty members with a strong record of excellence in research and teaching. The department maintains vibrant programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels and a supportive learning environment for a diverse student body. Interdisciplinary collaborations with other departments and the College of Education aim to broaden diversity, equity, and inclusion in computing. The department excels in research and has a significant record of success, with over $4 million of external grants from various funding agencies, such as NSF and NIH. San Francisco and its proximity to Silicon Valley provides unique opportunities to collaborate with industry and leading high-tech companies in the world. Additional information about the department is available at http://cs.sfsu.edu
The mission of San Francisco State University is to create and maintain an environment for learning that promotes respect for and appreciation of scholarship, freedom, human diversity, and the cultural mosaic of the City of San Francisco and the Bay Area; to promote excellence in instruction and intellectual accomplishment; and to provide broadly accessible higher education for residents of the region and state, as well as the nation and world. To fulfill its mission, the University is committed to the following goals:
• Attracting, retaining and graduating a highly diverse student body
• Providing disciplinary and interdisciplinary liberal arts and professional education that is academically rigorous and intellectually challenging
• Providing curricula that reflect all dimensions of human diversity, and that encourage critical thinking and a commitment to social justice
• Recruiting, retaining and supporting a diverse faculty whose teaching demonstrates an active engagement with their individual fields of study and whose creative and scholarly work is an extension of the classroom, laboratory or studio
• Employing a staff and administration reflecting the diversity of our student community and the values of the campus;
• Fostering a collegial and cooperative intellectual environment that includes recognition and appreciation of differing viewpoints and promotes academic freedom within the University community; and
• Serving the communities with which its students and faculty are engaged.
Responsibilities: Applicants must demonstrate a high potential for excellence in research and teaching. Successful candidates will develop and maintain an internationally-recognized research program and are expected to effectively supervise students, collaborate with other faculty members, obtain external funding, teach courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and contribute to diversity and equal opportunity through their academic careers.
• Ph.D. in Computer Science or related field. Terminal degree must be completed by the first day of employment.
• Record of working and communicating effectively with colleagues and students Preferred:
• Record of teaching contributions in the areas of the candidate's speciality, as well as core CS courses
• Active record of research and publications related to specialty area, and evidence of external support or the potential for external funding of these activities.
• Demonstrated ability to incorporate inclusion, diversity, and educational equity in teaching, and/or scholarship/creative works
• Experience teaching and working closely with students from historically underrepresented communities
• Record of contributing to collegial, supportive and collaborative work environments
Rank and salary: Assistant Professor. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The California State University (CSU) provides generous health, retirement and other benefits.
Application Procedure A complete online application must be submitted to receive consideration. To apply, please go https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/sf/en-us/job/505194/assistant-professor-computer-science
to begin the application process and upload the following materials: Submit letter of intent/interest, a current CV, a statement on how your teaching and scholarship align with the commitment of the CS Department to foster an inclusive and diverse academic community; representative publications; teaching statement; research statement; names and contact information of three references. Letters of recommendation upon request at a later date.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to email@example.com
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. We strongly encourage the application of individuals from historically underrepresented groups. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified Department/School Name: Computer Science Area of Specialization: HPC/Theory of Computation/CS Approaches Against Social Inequities Rank of Appointment: Assistant Professor applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager. Additional information on the requirements for new hires may be found at the Human Resources web page (https://hr.sfsu.edu/about-hr).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled