Description SENIOR TRAFFIC ENGINEER Regular Full Time Employment Opportunity
Work for the City of Sunnyvale: The Heart of the Silicon Valley
Visitors and residents enjoy Sunnyvale's beautiful, clean suburban setting, efficient, high-quality city services, low crime rate, quality schools, and 18 prize-winning parks.
We are looking for a Senior Traffic Engineer to keep our City of Sunnyvale roads and streets safe. This position will perform professional transportation engineering and transportation planning work and will have a primary focus on developing and reviewing land development traffic studies, working with transportation/traffic engineering consultants on developing transportation planning documents, implementing bicycle/pedestrian/safe routes to school improvement projects based on the City adopted plans and policies, and assisting with staffing the City's Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission meetings. We are looking for someone with strong communication, analytical, technical, problem-solving skills, and best practice project management methodologies. We are seeking a candidate with an excellent ability to effectively supervise and work with cross-functional teams, the ability to prioritize and deliver results in a constantly changing environment, and a proven ability to establish effective working relationships with customers, co-workers, and vendors.
Working for the City of Sunnyvale as a Senior Traffic Engineer is both challenging and rewarding and you are provided an opportunity to invest in the community and see the results of your work. All of this, plus a generous benefits package that includes a competitive salary, career development, and training opportunities make the City of Sunnyvale a great place to work.
For the complete job description click here: Job Description
Essential Job Functions
(May include, but are not limited to the following):
- Directs and prepares specifications, plans, estimates and reports pertaining to the construction, maintenance, and operation of traffic engineering facilities and street lighting systems
- Directs construction inspection work requiring specialized traffic engineering knowledge and personally intervenes when highly technical problems require resolution.
- Directs and coordinates the repair and maintenance of traffic control devices and reviews invoices for payment.
- Assumes the major role in training other traffic engineering staff in technical and design aspects of traffic engineering.
- Oversees and directs the activities of assigned clerical, technical and professional staff; assists in the performance evaluations of workers.
- Prepares engineering cost estimates and recommends priorities for Public Works projects related to transportation; develops proposals, concept reports, project scopes and requests for proposals for traffic engineering improvement projects.
- Conducts and supervises field traffic engineering studies, topographical and construction surveys for streets, traffic control, and traffic flow developments.
- Provides professional advice to developers, consultants, and other City Departments on matters related to traffic control and safety; designs and supervises traffic striping and signing for pedestrian and vehicular movement.
- Prepares background material and draft recommendations for Council action on transportation issues.
- As the Senior Traffic Engineer, signs off on documents and reports and performs other duties requiring licensure as a Professional Engineer in the State of California.
- Conducts or supervises traffic studies such as speed studies, stop sign warrants, and parking restrictions.
- Oversees program and project budget; assists with development and oversight of division budget.
- Meets with representatives of other governmental agencies, major industries, and citizen groups to discuss traffic problems.
- May perform some of the duties of the Transportation Engineer/Traffic Engineer.
Position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine motor coordination when using a computer keyboard. Near vision is required when reading plans, written reports and other documents, and far vision is required when inspecting work sites. Acute hearing is required when providing phone and personal service. The need to lift, carry and push tools, equipment and supplies weighing up to 25 pounds is also required. The job duties expose the employee to the outdoors, which may include exposure to fumes, dust, allergens and air contaminants. The nature of the work may also require the incumbent to work in construction zones and heavy traffic conditions. Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodation.
Minimum Qualifications Education & Experience
The minimum qualifications for education and experience can be met in the following way:
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in civil engineering or a closely related field; AND
Three years of experience in performing relevant, professional-level work in traffic, transportation, or civil engineering with some lead or supervisory experience.
In addition to the above, current registration as a Professional Civil or Traffic Engineer issued by the State of California is required.Thorough knowledge of:
Working knowledge of:
- Modern principles and practices of traffic engineering as applied to the construction and maintenance of public works projects and traffic control programs.
- Computers and hardware utilized for traffic controls.
- Computer software applications related to the work, including computer-aided traffic modeling concepts and applications.
- Street and roadway design and maintenance in conformance with applicable standards.
- Standard and alternative engineering construction materials.
- Applicable codes, regulations, standards and safety practices.
- Basic supervision and training principles and practices.
- Surveying and other civil engineering practices related to traffic engineering.
- Traffic signals, traffic engineering, traffic safety and traffic operations.
- Engineering mathematics and calculations; principles of drafting and surveying.
- Office practices, methods and equipment, including a computer and applicable software.
Licenses and Certificates:
- Analyze complex traffic engineering data and reports; evaluate alternatives and reach sound conclusions.
- Effectively represent the City in contacts with governmental agencies, community groups, various business, professional and regulatory organizations and with property owners and the public.
- Interpret and work from design and construction plans, sketches and diagrams.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Provide excellent customer service to the public and other City employees.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Work independently and as a member of a team.
- Direct and oversee the work of other traffic engineering staff.
- Interpret, apply and explain laws, codes, regulations and ordinances.
- Direct and maintain the cooperation of construction contractors, consultants, and others; administer contracts for professional services and construction projects in a municipal setting.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with contractors, co-workers and the general public.
- Prepare clear and concise written and oral reports and recommendations; maintain accurate records, logs and databases.
- Travel to various sites within the City.
- Operate a personal computer, photocopier, facsimile machine and other standard office equipment.
- Observe safety principles and work in a safe manner.
Possession of and continued maintenance of a valid class C California driver's license and a safe driving record.
Registration as a Professional Civil or Traffic Engineer issued by the State of California is required.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Possession of an International Municipal Signal Association (I.M.S.A.) Level I and Level II Traffic Signal Technician certificates.
Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Traffix, aaSIDRA, Synchro and/or Crossroads software.
Application and Selection Process
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit a City of Sunnyvale employment application and responses to the supplemental questions to the Department of Human Resources no later than 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 26, 2021
(postmarks or faxes are not accepted).
Candidates are asked to fully describe any training, education, experience, or skills relevant to this position. Electronic applications may be submitted online-line through the City's employment page at Sunnyvale.ca.gov , and click on City Jobs or application materials may be submitted to Department of Human Resources, 505 West Olive Avenue, Suite 200, Sunnyvale, CA 94086. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.EXAM PROCESS
Applications will be competitively screened based on the minimum qualifications of this position. Based upon a review of the application materials, the most qualified candidates will be invited to participate in the examination process, which may consist of an oral examination, tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, November 16, 2021.
(The examination process may be changed as deemed necessary by the Director of Human Resources.)SELECTION PROCESS
Those candidates who receive a passing score on the examination will be placed on an eligibility list for up to one year, in accordance with the City's Civil Service Rules and Administrative Policies. Top candidates on the eligibility list will be invited to participate in a selection interview with the department for the week of November 29, 2021
. Any candidate selected by the hiring department will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, which may consist of a background history check, as well as medical exam(s) administered by a City-selected physician(s) before hire. Prior to starting work, all newly-hired employees will be fingerprinted to check conviction history. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose conviction history will result in refusal of employment or termination. Positions which are covered by the Department of Transportation regulations are required to submit to a pre-employment drug test and to random drug and alcohol testing.
Individuals receiving offers of employment are required to provide either proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination or receipt of a negative COVID-19 test within 7 calendar days prior to their start date. Individuals receiving offers of employment from the City who do not comply with this policy will have their offer of employment rescinded. INFORMATION ABOUT PROOF OF EDUCATION
Any successful candidate selected by the hiring department will be required to submit proof of education (i.e., original copy of the diploma or college/university transcripts).ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Positions in this job classification are represented by the Sunnyvale Employees Association (SEA).
The information contained within this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
The City of Sunnyvale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the City of Sunnyvale not to discriminate against all qualified applicants or employees on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion (including religious dress or grooming practice), color, sex (includes gender, pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth, breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeeding), gender identity and/or gender expression, sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality), ethnic or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniformed service member status, marital status, family relationship, age, cancer or HIV/AIDS related medical condition, genetic characteristics and/or genetic information, and physical or mental disability. Applicants needing special accommodations for testing should submit a request to the Department of Human Resources at time of application.
Summary of Sunnyvale's Employees Association SEA
Notice of CFRA (California Family Rights Act) Rights and Obligations
Closing Date/Time: 10/26/2021 5:00 PM Pacific