2005 Hilltop Circle Roseville, 95747 Description DATA MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST I SALARY: $5,573
monthly (26 pay periods annually) FINAL FILING DATE:
We are accepting applications until
closing at 5 pm, October 22, 2021 IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION
. THE POSITION
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the position of Data Management Specialist I
in the Environmental Utilities
department. The current opening is a Regular, Full-time position in the Environmental Utilities department, but the list may be utilized to fill future regular, temporary and limited-term vacancies in both the Electric and Environmental Utilities departments for the duration of the list. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8 -5 pm; a flex schedule may be available
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere. THE CITY
The City of Roseville is committed to a diverse workforce. We are engaged in understanding the needs and backgrounds of our colleagues and those we serve. Our organization is unified in this commitment, as we believe this produces the best results for our community.
The City of Roseville (COR) incorporates the following Core Competencies as part of the City's culture:
- Focus on people: Develop and deliver service-oriented solutions that meet or exceed expectations.
- Build trust: Ensure honesty and integrity to gain confidence and support of others.
- Ensure accountability: Take responsibility for the outcomes of one's own work and foster a sense of ownership in others.
- Communicate effectively: Deliver clear, concise messages and actively listen to ideas and questions.
- Collaborate inclusively: Build effective working partnerships, alliances, and teams.
- Make quality decisions: Make sound, timely decisions and recommendations.
- Be adaptable/agile: Change approach or methods to best fit the situation and effectively balance competing priorities.
To perform technical and professional duties involving the analysis, design, development, programming, and maintenance of information systems related to the operations of an assigned department, including but not limited to, water and wastewater treatment or electric energy management, distribution, and generation processes and facilities; and to provide information technology support related to department specific operations and systems. DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
This is the entry level in the Data Management Specialist series. This class is distinguished from the journey level by the performance of the more routine tasks and duties assigned to positions within the series. Employees at this level are not expected to perform with the same independence of direction and judgment on matters allocated to the journey level. Since this class is typically used as a training class, employees may have only limited or no directly related work experience. Employees work under general supervision while learning job tasks. SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Receives general supervision from an assigned supervisor.
- May exercise technical supervision over clerical, maintenance and/or technical staff as assigned.
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Knowledge of :
- Implement and maintain electronic data management, collection/storage, and related systems in support of assigned department operations and processes.
- Design, develop, program, deploy, maintain and troubleshoot a variety of electronic databases related to department operations including large Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) such as Oracle, SQL Server, integrated development environments, Internet application server, and/or web host software.
- Develop, install and maintain Web-based applications.
- Perform daily data analysis; maintain data integrity and accuracy by running and analyzing various programs and reports; perform database backup and recovery operations; implement and test backup and recovery policy.
- Monitor and maintain security of database systems by writing procedures, functions and triggers to control the flow of data, monitoring logs and reviewing system access privileges, allocating disk space for users, creating and maintaining users, user permissions, system privileges, and passwords, and performing other administrative tasks at the operating system level.
- Perform database back-up and recovery operations; implement and test back-up and recovery policies and procedures.
- Design, develop, maintain and troubleshoot server management tools, Internet application servers, and forms, reports and report development suite in support of department operations, requirements, and staff needs.
- Set up and maintain logical storage, channels, virtual disks and partitions; create data files, tablespaces, tables and indexes as needed.
- Work with various internal users to develop programs that meet business needs; develop, test, review, and de-bug related prototypes; create documentation of final programs; develop and conduct end user training and program roll out.
- Provide system administration services; set up and install new servers and operations systems; install system upgrades and/or apply patches; hard code and/or implement programs in anticipation of upgrades.
- Design and develop forms and reports in support of department operations, requirements, and staff needs.
- Prepare periodically-required internal and external regulatory reports related to department operations.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Ability to :
- Principles and practices of Oracle and SQL Server databases, Local Area Networks (LAN), Storage Area Networks (SAN), computer systems and related analysis.
- Principles and techniques of SQL, PL/SQL, and JAVA scripting, report writing, programming, electronic data processing and application documentation.
- Principles and practices related to the programming, maintenance, and use of computer systems and applications such as Oracle, Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, WHIMS and web development software.
Experience and Training Experience :
- Learn to perform technical duties in the analysis, design, and maintenance of information systems related to the processes and operations of the assigned department.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand operations, and observe safety rules; analyze problem equipment and/or procedures; know and apply techniques and terminology; communicate and explain test results to others.
- Intermittently, sit while studying or preparing reports; bend, squat, climb, kneel and twist when performing various field site sampling duties; perform simple and power grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation; use telephone, computer or communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 25 pounds or less.
- Learn to apply basic principles of business processes related to the assigned department's operations and information management.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- One year of responsible experience in computer systems operations and programming related to the implementation or maintenance of large Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) such as Oracle servers and automated data systems and information management; experience in a 24 hour industrial process environment, such as water or wastewater treatment is desirable.
AND Training :
License or Certificate
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, preferably with major course work in computer science, information systems or a related field.
- Possession of a valid California driver's license by date of appointment.
- Possession of a Database Administrator (DBA) certificate is desirable.
- Your responses to question 3, the applicant's education, training and experience, will be scored using a pre-determined formula. Your responses to these questions must be consistent with your employment application information. This experience must also be described in the "Work Experience" section of this application. Responses to the supplemental questionnaire that are inconsistent from your "Work Experience" section in the application will not be scored. I understand and agree with the above instructions.
- Was any of the work experience listed on your application an unpaid internship, or volunteer work? If so, please list below which ones.
- How many years of work experience do you have with reporting tools?
- Less than 1 Year
- 1-3 Years
- 3-5 Years
- 5+ Years
- How many years of work experience do you have with implementing or maintaining SQL integrations between databases?
- Less than 1 year
- 1-3 Years
- 3-5 Years
- 5+ Years
- How many years of work experience do you have in scripting languages?
- Less than 1 Year
- 1-3 Years
- 3-5 Years
- 5+ Years
- What knowledge and/or experience do you have working with large datasets to develop quality reporting used to make business decisions?
- What experience do you have working with Enterprise or Mission critical systems?
- Please describe your experience with functional, integration, and end-to-end user testing.
- What is your level of proficiency with SQL programming? Microsoft SQL Server? Data reporting tools such as Cognos and Crystal?
- Describe your experience working with data requests for internal staff and regulatory agencies.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will have their application scored in a Formula Rate Examination. The applicant's experience and education will be evaluated using a pre-determined formula. Scores from this evaluation will determine applicant ranking and placement on the Employment List. Supplemental questions will be utilized by the department hiring authority to make interview and selection determinations. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
Job Announcement URL: http://www.roseville.ca.us/jobs Benefits
For more information regarding the City's benefits, visit our website at here
. This position is in Local 39. Special Instructions
The following options apply to the evaluation of college degrees from countries outside the United States:
- Educational background from a foreign country may be evaluated by an accredited United States college or university listed on the U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Post-Secondary Institutions and Programs website.
- Verification of degree equivalency may be obtained from organizations that provide foreign education credential evaluation services. The City of Roseville will accept verification from any of listed member agencies found at www.naces.org
- A copy of the foreign credential evaluation verification must be attached to the employment application.
- Applicants who do not provide this verification will be eliminated from further consideration.
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org