About Our Job
Employment Requirement: City Employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by September 30, 2021. All persons offered a position will be required to provide valid proof of vaccination prior to starting employment.
Please apply as soon as you are able as this position will close when we receive a sufficient number of qualified candidates.
The Auditor's Office, an independent agency of the City and County of Denver, delivers independent, transparent, and professional oversight in order to safeguard the public's investments in the City and County of Denver. Our in-depth audit reports look at how efficient and effective the city's services and programs are for the people of Denver and provide recommendations for improvement. Our work is performed on behalf of everyone who cares about the city, including its residents, workers and decision-makers. We provide a dynamic and collaborative work environment, excellent work-life balance, and professional development opportunities for our employees.
Our current hybrid work model is a combination of primarily remote work with in-person attendance a minimum of one day per week. The hybrid model will evolve post-pandemic to continue flexibility and remote work, with in-person attendance centering around key meetings and interactions. We provide a laptop for our employees and you must have a consistent internet connection for remote work.
The Audit Manager manages audits and supervises one or more teams of professional internal auditing staff conducting performance and/or financially focused audits and other analyses of City departments, programs and contracts while employing a variety of auditing methodologies. The Internal Audit Manager will also support the Auditor's Office vision, goals, and objectives. Responsibilities include planning, managing, and completing business process and internal control review engagements, writing and reviewing audit reports, developing and managing staff, and establishing and maintaining expertise in functional areas such as government accounting or public policy analysis or subject-matter knowledge in construction, airport, or other areas in a local government.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Manages/supervises professional audit staff team(s) engaged in conducting performance and/or financially focused audits or evaluations of City and County departments and programs that include but are not limited to effectiveness, efficiency, public policy assessment, governance, internal control and compliance objectives using Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS) promulgated by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO).
- Supports Audit Services leadership to make an initial assessment of an audit subject by researching best practices, trends, and historical and current data, along with related laws, policies, procedures, methods and/or practices, identifying known and potential risks, defining the scope of work, developing the methodology for the collection of relevant data, and assembling and designating data into meaningful formats.
- Ensures audit engagement products are of high quality and ready for management reviews.
- Provides regular updates to management on audit engagement process and team member performances.
- Develops or modifies work plans, methods, and procedures, determines work priorities, and develops work schedules to provide adequate staff coverage.
- Provides work instruction and assists employees with difficult and/or unusual assignments; encourages innovation.
- Resolves problems and mediates conflicts encountered during daily operations and determines appropriate solutions.
- Displays strong project management skills.
- Produces high quality written products that analyze, synthesize and explain complex issues to a variety to audiences, staff and residents of Denver.
- Displays the ability to apply critical thinking skills to complex audit topics.
- Ensures timely delivery of all audit products.
- Displays effective leadership and ability to work together with the Audit Directors and team members.
- Performs audit-related presentations and briefings.
- Performs and/or reviews audit follow-up work for assigned audits.
- Reviews audits or assessments for accuracy, quality and conformance to GAGAS, departmental policy, ordinance and statute requirements.
- Possesses subject-matter expertise in performance and/ or financial auditing and related areas.
- Develops and maintains specific knowledge in areas such as construction or airport auditing among others and specific auditing methodologies related to performance and/ or financial auditing.
- Performs onboarding and on-the job training to auditors.
- Conducts performance evaluations and provides coaching, mentoring, and suggests training plans to management to help staff further develop their skills.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
- Experience in government performance and/or financially focused auditing,
- Some experience in IT auditing and audit analytics,
- At least two years of supervising or leading audit staff,
- Familiarity and experience with GAGAS,
- A graduate degree,
- An applicable professional certification, such as CIA (Certified Internal Auditor), CPA (Certified Public Accountant), CGAP (Certified Government Auditing Professional), CRMA (Certification in Risk Management Assurance), or similar,
- Experience with TeamMate or other audit management software,
- Effective leadership and interpersonal skills,
- Superior critical thinking and communication skills,
- Must by comfortable working in a team environment
We realize your time is valuable, so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Public Administration, Public Policy, Government Analytics, Business Administration, or related field.
- Experience Requirement: Four (4) total years of professional level experience, to include at least three years as a Senior Internal Auditor, auditing and evaluating business practices and processes to ensure compliance and efficiency.
- Education and Experience Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for experience requirements.
For more information about the Auditor's Office, please visit our website at https://www.denverauditor.orgAbout Everything Else
CV3305 Internal Audit Manager AO
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Position Salary Range
$90,016.00 - $148,526.00
Based on Education and Experience
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here