JOB SUMMARYThis position is open until filled with first review of applications on October 4, 2021.
Serves as Lead for Drainage Maintenance department of the Transportation Division; assists in supervising the activities of subordinate personnel; operates, inspects, and maintains various types of heavy equipment used in the maintenance of drainage, infrastructure; assists with special projects; prepares maintenance documentation in accordance with MS4 requirements; acts on behalf of the Crew Leader as required; and performs other related duties. May be required to work in other departments of the Transportation Division including Streets or Traffic.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING
- Serves as Lead in supervising the activities of other equipment operators.
- Performs manual labor for drainage improvement construction projects and drainage maintenance activities.
- Operates various types of heavy equipment including but not limited to backhoes, bulldozers, loaders, blades, gradalls, dump trucks, water trucks, skid loaders, vacuum trucks, hydro-seeder, excavators, and sweepers; conducts daily equipment inspections; performs minor mechanical repairs.
- Assesses and determines types of equipment and/or materials required for maintenance, repair, or construction work.
- Prepares and maintains job tickets and/or other types of routine maintenance documentation.
- Performs inspections of drainage infrastructure, timekeeping, and work order documentation using technology such as desktop computers, tablets and smartphones.
- Installs and maintain erosion control BMPs such as inlet protection, rock berms, silt fence.
- Cuts and grades open channels.
- Maintains underground storm drain system.
- Participates in community outreach and education activities and events.
- Responds to and/or investigate illicit discharge calls such as spills, dumping, and leaks.
- Works in confined space environments.
- Cleans and sweeps City streets and/or Airport roads.
- Trims trees and/or shrubbery.
- Cleans all drainage infrastructure in the right-of-way of debris.
- Provides traffic control for construction activities, emergencies, parades and various types of special events.
- Performs the duties of the Crew Leader in his/her absence as required.
- Provides assistance in coordinating and conducting special projects.
- Participates in cross training with other Transportation Division crews including Streets or Traffic.
- Provides on-call assistance; responds to emergency situations as required.
- Assist other Transportation Division crews or other City departments as required. Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications)
- This position works under general supervision.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Three (3) years' experience operating street, drainage, water or wastewater utility and/or other heavy equipment.
- A Class A Commercial Driver's License is required within six (6) months of employment.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
Certified Inspector of Sediment and Erosion Control (CISEC) or Certified Erosion, Sediment and Stormwater Inspector (CESSWI) preferred CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must be able to read/comprehend blue prints and routine maintenance documentation.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City departments and personnel, vendors, and the general public.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
Physical requirements include lifting up to 85 pounds occasionally. Subject to vision and hearing constantly; standing, walking, pushing/pulling, reaching, handling, balancing, talking and foot controls frequently; sitting, lifting, carrying, fine dexterity, kneeling, twisting and climbing occasionally; crouching, crawling and bending rarely.
Working conditions involve exposure to variable and/or extreme weather conditions, dust, dirt, heavy equipment, vehicle traffic, hot asphalt, hazardous chemicals/materials, and infectious diseases is involved. Utilizes personal protective equipment as required. Safety Sensitive Position.
8 a.m.-5 p.m., M-F, On call
Closing Date/Time: Continuous