The City of Gilroy is currently recruiting for a Customer Service Manager in the Community Development Department. The goal of the Community Development Department is to provide comprehensive plan check and building inspection services in accordance with local, state, and federal statutes to ensure compliance in construction with approved building codes as measure of ensuring the life safety of buildings and people.
Under the general supervision of the Community Development Director, the Customer Service Manager will direct, plan, supervise, and coordinate the work of the Customer Services Division, including the management of a team of customer interfacing staff, and recommending, developing and implementing process improvements and use of technology to provide access to information and services 24/7. The Customer Service Manager will establish policies, procedures and practices related to Community Development services, will provide staff support to the Community Development Director, and work in cooperation with other Community Development managers, Engineering team, and other staff to problem solve, remove obstacles, expedite processes, and ensure all clients receive excellent customer service.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Assist in development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities of the City Council related to Community Development functions and processes.
- Plan, organize, manage, and perform the functions and activities of the division including front counter services, application and permit intake, implementation of customer service and development review process improvements, oversight and coordination of the City’s land management program and other supporting software and online applications, and special projects.
- Coordinate inter-departmental functions and oversee cross-functional teams to most effectively meet customer needs and support development and permitting related services; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work projects, methods and procedures; coordinate the development processing procedures of the City; see that coordination is maintained between various City departments and divisions, outside governmental agencies, and citizen groups for development processing functions.
- Serve as staff and prepare or direct preparation of reports and recommendations to the Community Development Director, City Administrator, City Council, Planning Commission, and other boards and commissions.
- Review and remain current with legislation and legal opinions that may affect activities of the Division.
- Meet with and advise developers and general public regarding development applications and processes; explain purposes, regulations, and directives of accepted development practices.
- Administer and supervise work performed by assigned staff.
- Establish methods for feedback from customers and recommend process improvements based on feedback.
- Recommend changes to policies, procedures, codes or regulations in support of development process improvements to include close coordination with the Engineering Land Development team in the Public Works Department.
- Establish goals and metrics to evaluate progress and make information easily accessible to elected officials, staff and the public; collect and analyze data, make recommendations, evaluate alternatives and prepare reports.
- Supervise and assist in preparation of assigned budgets; assist in budget implementation; participate in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; administer the approved budget.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate professional, technical and clerical subordinates.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL
- Provide top notch customer service with excellent follow through and communication.
- Have strong technology skills with experience utilizing Land Management Software to achieve efficient and effective customer service.
- Have the ability to analyze complex problems, evaluate alternatives and make creative recommendations.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills in working with a diverse group of people including the City Council and the public both verbally and in writing.
- Be highly organized, have the ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously, and be able to prioritize tasks.
- Have the ability to learn and serve as a subject matter expert on the City’s software systems including the ability to train other City Staff.
- Make recommendations for changes to support and align with customer service strategies.
EXAMPLES OF FIRST YEAR PROJECTS
- Successful implementation and enhancements to our comprehensive customer service program to include process improvements.
- Successful implementation of LMS system (EnerGov) including staff training and customer outreach/education.
- Create reports for metric tracking in support of initiatives and public education.
- Provide input on department processes to improve efficiencies.