Job Summary Relocating: Explore all that Mohave County has to offer at: http://www.mohavedevelopment.org/liveandplay/live-play/ Mohave County Elections Department is currently recruiting for the position of Elections Specialist located in Kingman, AZ.
While prior Elections experience is preferred, related experience and certifications will determine initial placement as Elections Specialist or Elections Assistant. Depending on qualifications, may underfill position. This posting will be used to fill current and future vacancies: *May underfill position Elections Assistant as Range 10, Step 1-4: $16.05 - $18.57
Performs specialized, complex level office support and clerical work of a technical and highly confidential nature assisting in the planning, organizing, and coordinating Election activities. This position is responsible for poll worker recruitment, routine daily office activities, candidate campaign finance management, accounts payable processing, creating department purchase requisitions, monitors and reconciles department cost centers, and acts as department social media coordinator. REPORTS TO
Work is performed under general supervision of a higher level of authority and in accordance with established procedures. Routine work assignments are rarely reviewed by the supervisor. The employee is expected to exercise initiative and independent judgment in applying appropriate procedures and practices in planning and organizing. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
Will exercise supervision of temporary office staff.Essential Job Functions ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Recruits and coordinates all poll workers, including bi-lingual poll workers.
- Schedules poll workers' activities and training sessions.
- Prepares and processes all poll worker payroll information and distributes poll worker payroll checks.
- Coordinator for; election night reporting system, electronic pollbooks, online poll worker training, online candidate petition administration, online candidate campaign finance filing and records retention.
- Must work well in conjunction with all Elections staff.
- Receives candidate nomination filings.
- Receives candidate campaign financial reports in accordance with established laws and State statutes.
- Maintains files for candidates.
- Informs candidates of campaign finance delinquency.
- Assists in review of candidate, initiative, referendum, and recall petitions in accordance with Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.).
- Issues petitions for initiative, referendum, or recall applications and gives instructions when applicable.
- Assists in reviewing petitions for accuracy of filing.
- Assists special districts with all aspects of elections.
- Compiles statistical data and prepares related reports and recommendations.
- Researches inquiries and current issues using A.R.S. and Secretary of State's Procedures Manual and summarize findings for the end user.
- Completes Travel Expense forms for all department staff members.
- Monitors deadlines set by State statute.
- Coordinates reservations for conference rooms and out of town accommodations.
- Answers media questions and phone calls regarding election procedures and status.
- Performs monthly reconciliation of expense statements.
- Prepares all Treasurer Deposits.
- Processes accounts payable.
- Maintains detailed monthly review of election department's budget items and handles reconciliation of incorrect charges.
- Assists in fiscal year budget preparation.
- Acts as purchasing and research agent for departmental supply needs.
- Performs receptionist duties which include high quality customer service and resolution of routine inquiries from the public, both phone & walk-in.
- Assists with proof reading of ballot proofs, sample ballots and election programming reports for completeness and accuracy.
- Assists with logic and accuracy testing for both paper and electronic ballots and ballot tabulation equipment.
- Assist with refining the election logic for the electronic pollbooks prior to each election.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
Minimum Qualifications REQUIRED MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB PREFERENCE:
- High School Diploma/GED (General Education Degree).
- Four (4) years' experience in progressively responsible advanced administrative office support.
- One (1) year administrative experience in a lead/supervisory capacity.
- Or any combination of education, training, or work experience which demonstrate the ability to perform the duties of the position.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- Experience in elections, customer service, payroll, accounts payable and budgets preferred.
- Ability to speak, read, and write Spanish. At minimum, conversational Spanish highly preferred.
- Shall possess or obtain within 24 month of appointment an "Elections Officers Certificate" as issued by the Secretary of the State in accordance with A.R.S 16-407 .
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES Knowledge of:
- Must provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the county.
- Strategic pro-active planning skills.
- Effectively contacting potential poll workers by phone.
- Capable of experience-based problem solving.
- Election management policies and procedures.
- Voting machines and their various applications.
- Supervisory and training techniques.
- Office practices and procedures.
- Computer operations.
- Election statutes, policies, rules, and regulations.
- Department policies, rules, and procedures.
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulation.
- Communicating and maintaining professionalism with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Pay great attention to detail and recognize errors on printed documents and reports.
- Proofread materials with 100% accuracy.
- Produce written documents with clearly organized thoughts using proper sentence construction, punctuation, and grammar.
- Write letters and correspondence to all stakeholders in the election process.
- Develop and complete complex procedures.
- Follow complex written and verbal instructions.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing with the public and employees.
- Train poll workers and part-time staff on well-defined processes and procedures.
- Be persuasive when recruiting candidates to be election poll workers.
- Speak to the community and election peers to gather information and use it to better perform this position.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with employees, other agencies, and the public.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment requiring continuous or repetitive arm-hand movements.
- Enter data using a keyboard device.
- Use standard word process, spreadsheets, and database programs.
- Use election specific database programs.
- Remain in a sitting position for extended periods of time.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.