Description:Salary and Benefits
The starting salary will be between $3,210.00/month and $4,330.00/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit https://www.csueastbay.edu/hr/benefits/index.html About Cal State East Bay
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability. About the Position
The Finance area consists of General Accounting, Accounts Payable, Student Financial & Cashier Services, Bay Card/University Club Services, Accounts Receivable, Finance Support, Budget and Procurement & Support Services. These departments report to four managers, the Director of University Budget Services, the Director of Fiscal Services, Student Financial Services & Cashiers Director and the Director of Procurement Services. These managers report to the Associate Vice President of Finance. The incumbent will be an Accounting Technician II within the University Accounts Payable unit.
This position is under the supervision of the Accounts Payable Manager and is primarily in the Accounts Payable unit. However, duties may also include support within other areas within Fiscal Services. This Accounting Tech II position is responsible for processing paycycles for all AP payments, and responsible for voiding checks as requested. In addition, incumbent will oversee use of the current travel software, ensuring compliance, data integrity, providing functional and technical support as well as training to end users. Lastly, incumbent will identify, track, and clear Accounts Payable compliance issues including but not limited to STD261s and Defensive driving mandatory coverage requirements. Duties will also include the maintenance of AP records. Responsibilities
Run the AP Pay cycles
Post information to journals, registers, and ledgers; analyze and assemble and compile data used in the generation of financial reports and/or analysis
- Runs the pay cycles for the campus
- Process the weekly wire payments in the Wells Fargo portal, and the Peoplesoft system
- Audits the trial register for accuracy before checks are printed and released to vendors
- Sorts checks for distribution, and contacts various departments for check pick up
- Research and follow up on reimbursement checks that are not picked up by employees
Perform a number of ongoing systems administration activities for the University's travel software program (i.e., Certify). Ensure data integrity, including
- Balance Certify reports daily to general ledger
- Correct processing errors in a timely manner while maintaining transaction trail, coordinating accounting reconciliation efforts as needed
- Unsettled claim user follow-up and education.
- Provide functional and technical support to end user, serving as the prime contact
Accounts Payable Compliance Activities
- Identify, track, and clear Accounts Payable compliance issues including but not limited to STD 261s and Defensive Driving mandatory coverage requirements
- Escalate unresolved compliance issues to the appropriate administrator
- Develop and maintain business processes to support this effort, leveraging automation
Electronic Storage (e.g., OnBase)
- Ensure integrity of AP electronic storage, ensuring future invoice retrieval
- Scan and index documents into OnBase, verifying accuracy and approving invoices after the paycycle is completed
Stop Payments and Voids
- Process and control void checks and stop payments
- Handle monthly processing of stale-dated & escheated checks
- Work with GL group to assist in bank reconciliation process
- Maintain file of cancelled and void checks and escheated payments.
- Track Certify earnings/rewards, coordinating with management spending of rewards
- Maintain records
- Monitor the accounts payable email; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Train students as needed
- Sorts mail, greets customers, and provide assistance as needed
- System testing for upgrades
- Archiving and boxing paid invoices
- Other duties as assigned
- Be able to sit for long periods, bending, reaching, lifting as required in an office environment.
- Being able to lift up to 25lbs for year end boxing of invoices.
Be able to effectively use the following software:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Internet browsers
Thorough knowledge of financial record-keeping, mathematical and general office methods, procedures, and practices.
In addition to the Accounting Technician I abilities, must be able to apply accounting procedures and practices to the analysis of basic accounting problems; analyze and interpret accounting data; apply problem solving techniques in finding solutions to basic accounting problems; understand and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies, and procedures; use current computer word processing and spreadsheet software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems, such as student accounting, cashiering and student financial aid; work independently; and make sound decisions and recommendations regarding accounting activities.
Equivalent to three years of progressively responsible financial record-keeping experience which has provided the above knowledge and abilities.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities. Condition(s) of Employment
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including LiveScan, as appropriate), that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate. LiveScan is conducted through the University Police Department. EEO Statement
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body. Other Information
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html Sponsorship
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions. Mandated Reporter
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled