Assistant ProfessorDepartment: Starting Date:
Spring 2022 Minimum Qualifications
- An earned Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related fields by the start of the employment.
- Strong commitment to and demonstrated potential for teaching and scholarship excellence.
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues in an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community.
- Demonstrated ability in effective written and oral use of the English language.
- Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated experience in effective research-based instructional practices, support of students from groups underrepresented in computing, scholarly achievements, and/or industrial partnership building.
- Priority will be given to applicants who specialize in data science, cybersecurity, human-computer interface, cloud computing, robotics, mobile computing, and computer information systems.
- In addition, preference will be given to applicants whose expertise will expand the education and research opportunities the department currently offers for students and be complementary to areas of specialization of existing faculty in the department.
- Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated intercultural competence with diverse groups in teaching, research and/or service.
- Teach, supervise, and advise students at both undergraduate and master's levels, effectively adopting strategies proven successful for students traditionally underrepresented in STEM fields.
- Design and establish instructional labs that expand the existing curriculum, working with industry and community partners to prepare students for the workforce,
- Develop an active, externally funded research program that involves undergraduate and graduate students and be productive in publications.
- Participate in activities serving the department, college, university, and community.
Click Apply Now to complete the CSUSM Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Cover letter specifically addressing minimum and preferred qualifications.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Three professional references.
- A description of teaching philosophy, experience and potential contribution to expansion of the existing curriculum (up to 2 pages).
- A description of research accomplishments and future research goals including student involvement (up to 2 pages).
- One selected peer-reviewed publication.
Review of applications will begin October 23, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled.
The University is particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups.
CSUSM has been designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and was recently named one of the top 32 Colleges most friendly to junior faculty by the Collaborative on Academic Careers in Higher Education. Visit Faculty Opportunities
for more information.
California State University San Marcos is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation and veteran or military status.
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised December 22, 2020
as a condition of employment.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy, can be found at CSU Covid Policy
. Questions should be sent to the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is subject to employment verification, education verification, reference checks and criminal record checks. An offer of appointment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, including a criminal records check, and may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act or Clery Act Notification can be found at Clery Act Notification
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled