Johnson County Health & Environment department is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the position ofa Hazardous Materials Technician to work in the Environmental Division. The position is located at the Nelson Wastewater Treatment Plant at5901 Jims Bills Rd, Mission, KS 66203.Johnson Countyprovides excellent benefits, including health insurance, wellness programs and discounts, retirement programs, and various other discount programs.
Duties for this position will include:
- Assists customers dropping off their unwanted hazardous materials at the collection facility during collection days including select Saturdays; evaluates and segregates materials for reuse, recycling or for proper disposal
- Identifies and quantifies household hazardous waste (HHW) chemicals by chemical name or physical testing; separates chemicals by type within the broader categories of corrosives, flammables, toxics, and reactive
- Repacks and/or bulks materials including blending of latex paint for reuse, packing oil based items for recycling and bulking used oil for recycling
- Provides customer service including answering customer calls and e-mails; helps customers with latex paint sales and in the free store areas; stocks and maintains the customer Reuse Store
- Helps maintain the facility and equipment in a safe, clean and efficient manner; maintains documentation and work forms; performs routine calculations
- Assist in promoting the Household Hazardous Materials Program at public events and various outreach opportunities
A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
Associate's or Bachelor's degree in a related field of study and two years of related experience is preferred.
Ability to acquire and maintain OSHA 24 hour HAZWOPER certification within 30 days of employment.
Candidate must be able to successfully complete criminal and motor vehiclebackground screenings. Candidate must also submit to and pass a pre-employment, post-offer, and annual Hazard Materials Physical Examination, which includes Blood and Urine samples, auditory test, spirometry test, chest x-ray, Electrocardiogram (EKG), test for Hepatitis B plus vaccination, and a respiratory fit test.
Within sixty (60) days of hire, employees must produce proof of immunization, proof of immunity, proof that immunization is medically contraindicated, submit a written objection to immunization based upon a sincerely held religious belief, or receive vaccination for the following: Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR); Tetanus Diphtheria and Acellular Pertussis (TDAP); and Varicella (Chickenpox).Additional Skill Requirements:
- Understanding of hazardous materials and job safety including the capability to follow specific standard operating procedures (SOP's) as related to the safe and proper processing of hazardous waste.
- Ability to use, wear, and be trained in the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) not limited to, but including: full face respirator, air purifying respirator, dust mask, Tyvek coveralls, chemically resistant gloves, safety glasses, and steel toed boots. Expected to wear appropriate PPE in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- This job requires physical abilities including frequent lifting and the ability to move items such as pushing/pulling carts. Candidate must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions (extreme heat/cold, rain, snow, etc.) for up to 90% of a shift.
- Expected to communicate with clients in a courteous and professional manner and work collaboratively with coworkers maintaining a positive team atmosphere.
Occasional (less than 5%)
Health, Welfare, and Social Services