About Our Job
Employment Requirement: City employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All persons offered a position will be required to provide valid proof of vaccination prior to starting employment. Refer to the COVID-19 Employee Vaccination Mandate Candidate Q&A
for additional information.
Parks Utility Workers play an important role in maintaining Denver's extensive system of urban parks that are essential to the community's well-being. These individuals learn and practice a wide variety of general maintenance and landscaping skills - providing them with a strong foundation to make upward moves within the Parks & Recreation Department. (These positions are differentiated from Park Seasonal Laborers
which are the entry-level positions to park maintenance.)
These are on-call positions that will work no more than 39 hours per week and are not eligible for benefits. On-call positions may have routine or variable work schedules and may require working weekends and holidays.
These positions will support parks within Denver's Parks Maintenance Districts and will report to one of the maintenance shops in Denver. We are currently hiring for the Northwest, Northeast, and East park districts and the Water Conservation team. See the district map here.
Skills to be developed and utilized:
- Work outdoors in parks using and maintaining various hand-powered tools and motorized equipment in a safe and efficient manner
- Landscape maintenance duties such as:
- Turf maintenance (e.g. laying sod, fertilizing, mowing, edging, raking)
- Irrigation (minor maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, and use of central control systems)
- Ornamental/garden maintenance (planting, weeding, minor pruning)
- Infrastructure maintenance and repair such as fencing, asphalt, concrete, trails work, grade work/erosion control
- Interact with and learn alongside more seasoned park maintenance generalists and/or specialists such as Irrigation Maintenance Technicians, Horticultural Workers, Park Horticulturists, and other experts in unique green industry fields and skilled trades work
- Snow removal operations such as plowing, shoveling, de-icing
- Various related duties assigned as needed such as trash collection, bathroom maintenance and cleaning, vandalism repair/graffiti removal
We are looking for reliable and driven individuals looking to develop a well-rounded skill set in park maintenance. Our ideal candidates will enjoy working outside, be adept with safety considerations, and are eager to learn a variety of functions. Additionally, our ideal candidates will have:
- Previous parks maintenance experience
- Proficiency with various hand-powered tools and motorized equipment
We realize that your time is valuable so please do not apply unless you meet the following minimum qualification:
About Everything Else
- Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment
CJ2083 Utility Worker I
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Position Salary Range
$16.85 - $25.28
Parks and Recreation
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here