The Planning Analyst II (Operations Planning) reports to the Planning Administrator (Operations Planning), and is responsible for assisting in the development of short and long range planning initiatives related to Bus service design/planning programs for the San Mateo County Transit District (SamTrans).
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
•Assist in the development of planning bus services design/planning throughout the San Mateo County.
•Assist in the development of policies, procedures, and projects including transit and transportation studies. (Including preparation of planning transit documents, analyses, and related initiatives).
•Maintain the departmental Geographic Information System (GIS) and HASTUS database for transportation related projects/activities.
•Coordinate planning meetings to discuss project schedule, budget, and related activities with internal and external stakeholders.
•Prepared and present agency planning initiatives at meetings both internally and externally including presenting goals and objectives of planning projects.
•Provide analytic research on new funding opportunities for transit related initiatives.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
•Prepare, review and analyze bus service and performance; make improvement recommendations on existing services/schedules based on statistical data using reporting generation software.
•Audit bus plan changes for compliance with SamTrans Title VI programs.
•Develop schedule timetables for regular revenue service, construction, and special events; coordinate special event transportation request based on passenger count, cost and revenue projections.
•Communicate and educate stakeholders on changes in policies and practices within the organization; make recommendations to modify service or driver runs to improve quality based on results of consumer complaints and auditing findings.
•Evaluate project scopes, schedules and budgets. Coordinate selection and performance of consultant contract services for technical support
•Assist with stakeholder review and coordination of public outreach for planning activities and initiatives
•Assist with preparation of reports and other communication to senior staff, board members, and outside agencies and committees.
•Coordinate with grants department as they develop grant applications.
•Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to protect yourself, your fellow employees and the public from injury or harm. Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
•Perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Sufficient education, training, and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and ability to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Development of the required knowledge and abilities is typically obtained through but not limited to:
• Bachelor’s degree in transportation/urban planning, economics, business administration or a closely related field.
• Two years professional planning experience.
• One year of transportation operation/planning experience.
• Experienced working with Geographical Information System (GIS) mapping experience.
• Working knowledge in Geo-spatial analyses using GIS and related analytical tools for transportation planning studies.
• Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing in public meetings.
SELECTION PROCESS MAY INCLUDE: The process will include a panel interview and may include written and skills test assessments. Only those candidates who are the most qualified will continue in the selection process. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to continue in the process.
HOW TO APPLY:
• To apply, please visit the www.smctd.com/jobs.html. Complete an online employment application by 11:59 pm on Wednesday, October 20, 2021. A resume will not be accepted in lieu of the application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
• The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment/examination process to accommodate applicants with disabilities upon request. If you have a need for an accommodation, please contact the Human Resources Department at (650) 508-6308.
• SamTrans celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive, and welcoming workplace environment. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Persons with Disabilities and Veterans are encouraged to apply.
CURRENT EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS:
For additional information on SamTrans benefits, please visit,
Holidays: Seven paid holidays, plus up to four floating holidays per year Paid Time Off:
Up to 21 days (PTO) per year
Cafeteria Plans: Medical, dental, vision care, group life insurance and more Transportation: Free
Bus Transportation for employees and qualified dependents
Pension: Social Security and California Public Employees Retirement Systems (CalPERS)
• Classic Members – 2% @ 60 benefit formula, 3 year average of highest compensation
• New Members – 2% @ 62 benefit formula, 3 year average of highest compensation