OVERVIEW Kitsap County Public Works Department is dedicated to making our communities better and safer places to live, work, and play.Position Overview
Oversee and coordinate maintenance, repair, and minor site improvements for the Olympic View Transfer Station (OVTS) and the Recycling and Garbage Facilities in Olalla, Silverdale, and Hansville. Responsibilities including ongoing identification and oversight of facility projects to ensure safety and maintenance requirements are met. This position is also responsible for administering small contracts and managing the procurement process.QUALIFICATIONS FOR PERFORMANCE OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS Required Education and Experience
Preferred Education, Experience or Other Qualifications
- Associates Degree in engineering, physical science or closely-related field; and
- Four years of progressively responsible experience overseeing facility maintenance and repair projects; OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience and education (equivalent to six years of experience) that provides the applicant with the desired knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the work.
- Note: Bachelors Degree in related field may substitute for two years of the required work experience.
- Experience working with public and/or regulatory agencies.
- Experience administering contracts and grants.
- One year experience related to operations of solid waste facilities and disposal.
The successful incumbent must meet the driving requirements of this position and submit a copy a current driving record/abstract (from state of residency) to review for eligibility to drive for Kitsap County prior to employment. The successful incumbent must obtain a valid Washington State Driver's License prior to hire and maintain a satisfactory driving record as outlined in the Kitsap County Vehicle Use Policy. This position is categorized as a Category 1
Driver and operates County-owned vehicle. Criminal Conviction Standards:
The successful incumbent will or may have unsupervised access to children under 18 years of age, a vulnerable adult, or a vulnerable person, or access to a secured/confidential facility or computer system(s). As a result, Kitsap County will be conducting an extensive criminal background check by law enforcement agencies, which may include fingerprinting.
Required Licenses, Certificates, Examinations/Tests and Other Requirements
- Please review the following list of disqualifying crimes and negative actions to determine if you meet our standard for this position: https://www.dshs.wa.gov/sites/default/files/FSA/bccu/documents/Secretary%27sCrimesListforALLPrograms.pdf
Please note: The incumbent is responsible for obtaining and maintaining all of the following required licenses, certifications and other requirements. Prior to employment, the successful candidate must
Within six months of employment, the successful candidate must
- Submit official transcripts from an accredited college or university or business school, if education is being used to meet the minimum qualifications.
- Submit copy of official certification, if certifications are being used to meet the minimum qualifications.
- Pass all job-related examinations/tests necessary to demonstrate required knowledge, skills and abilities, as determined by the hiring authority at time of job posting.
- Submit a copy of their State employment driving record abstract to verify their eligibility to drive for Kitsap County.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Obtain a 24 or 40-hour HAZWOPER Certification
- Washington State First Aid/CPR Certification
Knowledge of :
- Principles, practices, and standards of environmental issues and programs with special emphasis on solid waste facilities, maintenance, operations, and projects
- Principles and practices of project planning, budgeting, coordination and evaluation
- Solid waste facility planning and operation
- Federal, state, and local solid waste and hazardous waste laws and regulations
- Equipment, materials, and tools used in solid waste operations
- Occupational hazards and safety rules, regulations, and procedures related to solid waste facility operations
- Data processing systems and computer software applications relating to solid waste systems and operations.
Skills and/or Ability to :
Working Conditions/Physical Activities
- Work independently without regular direction, and troubleshoot problems in assigned area of responsibility.
- Establish and maintain cooperative, effective and productive working relationships with internal and external staff and clients using tact, patience, courtesy and good judgment.
- Physically perform assigned duties and essential functions of the position.
- Appear for scheduled work with regular, reliable, and punctual attendance.
- Work various shifts, evenings, weekends, holidays and overtime as required.
- Utilize a variety of computer applications specific to the department including Microsoft Office Suite, Word and Excel, spreadsheets, databases, and web-based systems
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Prepare and utilize plans, maps, specifications, and reports related to solid waste activities
- Perform technical research and provide reliable advice on difficult problems
- Read, interpret, understand, and enforce safety rules and regulations and apply other laws, rules and regulations
- Adapt modern principles, methods, techniques and standards to the planning, design and construction of a variety of solid waste programs and projects
Administer contracts and grants.
- Establish and maintain accurate records and information systems for assigned activities and operations, analyze data, prepare reports, and make recommendations based on findings
- Schedule and prioritize work to complete tasks and meet deadlines
- Work successfully within the context of a team as a team player
- Maintain a professional demeanor under heavy workload and stressful situations
- Maintain confidentiality and adhere to policy and procedures of the department
Apply judgment and discretion in resolving problems and interpreting policies and procedures
- Mediate and tactfully resolve controversial issues
- Manage resources for projects through project planning, forecasting, feedback, and control.
- To respond to emergency recall, may be required to work more than 40 hours in a week, including evening, weekends and holidays and be on scheduled standby status.
( The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Kitsap County provides reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions .)
Positions in this class typically require :
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE OF DUTIES Essential Job Functions
- Working in an office environment with extensive exposure to onsite facility work.
- Occasional exposure to hazardous waste and solid waste operations and facilities
- Walking short and long distances during facility site visits and inspections
- Bending, reaching (over shoulders, at waist and below waist), or stooping
- Handling documents or equipment
- Clear speaking and adequate hearing sufficient to communicate effectively and response appropriately in-person and/or on the telephone
- Ability to enter data and retrieve information from a computer
- Exertion of force of up to 25 pounds occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds frequently and/or 10 pounds consistently to lift, carry or move objects
- Environmental and physical hazards associated with construction sites.
- A variety of weather conditions while driving or conducting facility visits or inspections
- Potential exposure to noxious odors and hazardous materials when visiting or inspecting operations and facilities
- Oversee repair, maintenance, and minor site improvements related to the County's solid waste transfer system facilities. Work closely with the Solid Waste Transfer Systems Manager to identify and prioritize facility maintenance requirements, including review of facility inspections to address safety issues and concerns. Coordinate with County Public Works staff to perform maintenance tasks.
- Administer multiple small contracts directly related to the solid waste transfer systems facilities maintenance. Manage the procurement process for contracted service including preparation of specifications and request for proposals (RFPs) or bid documents and evaluate submittals. Develop scope of work, schedule and budget; monitor progress of work and performance of contractors; review expenditures, invoices and change order requests; and confirm compliance with contract terms and service levels.
- Assist the Solid Waste Projects and Operations Manager with facility projects and operations including implementation of capital improvement projects.
- Assist the Solid Waste Transfer Systems Manager with facility tasks and activities including preparing reports and documentation to support facility operations and maintenance requirements.
- Assist solid waste managers and staff with special projects and needs related to solid waste programs.
Other Job Duties :
OTHER POSITION RELATED INFORMATION
- Perform other related duties as requested.
**First review of applicants will be the week of October 11, 2021 and then weekly.**
- Who May Apply: This position is open to the general public. Applications will be screened for qualifications and completion of all the required materials and forms. The most competitive applicants may be contacted for further steps in the selection process, which may include testing for office and computer skills.
- This position is classified as exempt from overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Non-represented and covered under the Kitsap County Personnel Manual.
- Kitsap County is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please contact our Human Resources Office.
- This posting may be used to fill future vacancies.
- Flexible work hours are available, as approved by management.