Job Summary Relocating? Explore all that Mohave County has to offer at:
http://www.mohavedevelopment.org/liveandplay/live-play/ Mohave County Development Services is currently recruiting for a Planner I in the Planning & Zoning Division.
Performs professional planning work involved in the research and development of county planning and implementation of programs for the growth and development of Mohave County. REPORTS TO
A higher level of authority. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
May exercise technical supervision of Planning Technicians and others as directed. Essential Job Functions
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Evaluation, review, and processing of site plans for commercial, industrial and multi-family residential proposals, RV and Manufactured Home Parks.
- Evaluation of rezones, special use permits, General Plan and other plan amendments.
- Works on other development proposals and special projects, meeting deadlines that the county considers critical and that meets customer demand.
- Preparation of review correspondence in relation to the above submittals and answering questions regarding reviews.
- Preparation and presentation of reports (text, maps, and other back up documents) and recommendations to the Planning and Zoning Commission and Board of Supervisors.
- Site visits and posting of legal notices.
- Assists Planner Sr. and Planner II in the administration of the General Plan and area plans.
- Assists with research and preparation of reports, drafting of policies and procedures, and work on high priority special assignments commonly involving short deadlines.
- Attending and presenting at public input meetings, and other forms of community outreach for the department.
- Preparation of GIS-based maps of pending developments, including but not limited to renewable energy projects, general and area plan implementation, and for all other work performed by this position.
- Preparation of statistics and general information regarding projects in review.
- Research into and work on public information requests and inquiries (many regarding litigious issues).
- Tracking and coordinating projects
- Data base creation and maintenance.
- Communicates and acts in a professional manner with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- A Bachelor's Degree in urban or regional planning, or related applicable field.
- Planning experience (including internship, or work study in urban or regional planning in general or specialized fields).
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Must provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Principles, practices and techniques of community planning and zoning
- Economics, public finance and sociology as applied to community planning.
- Principles and practices of engineering and physical design as applied to community planning.
- County, state and federal laws, rules and regulations pertaining to community planning, industrial development and community conservation.
- Land use regulations and zoning codes, their structure and application.
- Graphic techniques and topographic mapping.
- Basic statistical methods.
- The applications of data processing techniques to planning and zoning systems.
- Computing literacy to include use of graphics, word processing and electronic spreadsheet applications.
- Conducting public meetings and working well with the public.
- Department policies, rules and procedures.
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.
- Principles and techniques of Geographic Information Systems.
- Precise attention to detail.
- Application processing.
- Utilizing computer systems and applications, personal computers, networked system, Internet and GIS in the performance of work assignments, such as graphics, word processing, databases and electronic spreadsheets.
- Apply the principles and practices of urban or regional planning.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department personnel, County departments, planning agencies and the public.
- Interpret planning requirements and objectives to interest groups and the general public.
- Plan, organize, coordinate and present urban and regional planning projects and conduct technical research on economic, sociological and planning problems.
- Perform research work, compile and analyze data and statistical information and prepare and present clear and concise oral and written technical reports and recommendations.
- Interpret and utilize current planning information pertaining to work assignments.
- Communicate and maintain professionalism with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.