Job Summary Relocating? Explore all that Mohave County has to offer at: http://www.mohavedevelopment.org/liveandplay/live-play Mohave County is currently recruiting for an Office Specialist in the Assessors Office.
Depending on qualifications, may underfill position. This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies:
*May underfill position Office Assistant as Range 6, Step 1-4: $13.21 - $15.29
*May underfill position as Office Assistant Senior Range 8, Step 1-4: $14.56 - $16.85
This is one classification in a progressive series of Office Administration positions which performs complex advanced level office support and clerical work of a technical and highly responsible nature and may direct other clerical and office positions. This advanced level position requires a thorough knowledge of the entire process of which it is a part, and the general procedures of other offices and agencies whose work affects the position. These specialized, technical positions are given the general objective of each project and are then responsible for developing procedures and making assignments to accomplish these objectives. Positions require analysis,
initiative and judgment to apply practices, regulations and policies to a variety of difficult and varied work situations and to resolve, or recommend solutions, to work problems. REPORTS TO
Work is performed under the direction or general supervision, depending upon assignment, of a higher level of authority. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
As assigned, may exercise technical, functional or direct supervision of subordinates.Essential Job Functions
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintains, with relative independence in completing assigned tasks accurately and in maintaining standard correspondence, files, and reports of assigned area.
- Meets the public and receives phone calls.
- Responds to questions concerning department procedures or directs query to an individual or department as appropriate while providing excellent customer service.
- As assigned, may review work of other staff for conformance to regulations.
- Understands and interprets procedures and practices related to various departmental and assigned programs.
- As assigned, may delegate work assignments, train, monitor, schedule, oversee or directly supervise and review the work of subordinate clerical and office employees.
- May assist in interviewing and screening applicants and recommending disciplinary actions.
- May complete employee evaluations.
- Assists wherever needed to perform duties of department and in giving help in complex situations.
- Helps public with difficult, complex problems.
- Assist at the front counter and will cross-train with other positions within the department for backup as assigned.
- As needed, composes correspondence and other documents to respond to inquiries and to obtain, update or provide information.
- Create, review, and maintain various reports through the use of databases, spreadsheets and various software programs for various County, State, Federal and Accrediting purposes.
- Researches public and internal records for proper information.
- Keeps time and leave records of division or department.
- Establishes, coordinates and maintains filing systems and indexing and cross-referencing systems for assigned department.
- Follows and adheres to State of Arizona records retention, transfer and destruction schedules.
- Audits incoming and outgoing data for accuracy, completeness and quality. Resolves errors and omissions.
- Compiles and computes data from files and other sources in preparing reports.
- Maintains inventory of materials, equipment, and purchasing records and reports.
- Gathers and prepares materials for special reports, forms, policy formulation and summaries at the request of superiors as assigned.
- Performs research for assigned area.
- Checks frequently against a variety of records in order to secure complete and accurate information.
- Operates common office machines to include computer keyboards and related peripheral equipment.
- Maintains a high level of confidentiality.
- Present and conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.
- Communicate in a courteous and helpful manner as well as clear and concise manner at all times.
- Resolve complaints within scope of information and authority, and/or refer to chain-of-command as appropriate.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Performs related work as required.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- High School diploma /GED (General Education Degree).
- Four (4) years minimum progressively responsible advanced administrative and clerical office support with which:
- Two (2) of the Four (4) years performing specialized support in the assigned department/division or comparable Mohave County Department.
- An equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Must provide driving history upon acceptance of appointment at no cost to the County.
- Procedures, terminology, equipment, accepted or common practices, and policies of the assigned specialized work and the department/area to which assigned.
- English grammar, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Filing, index and information systems.
- Organization of the department.
- Applicable rules, laws, regulations and practices.
- Courtesy and tact in dealing with the public and public officials.
- Computing literacy to include use of electronic spreadsheet and word processing applications.
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.
- Operation of a customer service and utility billing office.
- Efficiently operating and utilizing modern office machines as necessary to include computers, copiers, fax transmittal machines, calculators, and related software and peripheral equipment.
- Microsoft Office software including Excel and Word (be able to do merges in Word and basic spreadsheet functions in Excel).
- Effectively communicate and establish relationships with the public, staff, and work contacts.
- Use good judgment in assessing a situation and responding appropriately.
- Act and communicate in a professional manner.
- Multi-task with a large number of assignments and a variety of situations
- Effectively perform the responsibilities of the specialty field and the position.
- Exercise courtesy and tact in dealing with the public and public officials and maintain confidentiality.
- Work independently in completing assigned tasks accurately and in maintaining standard correspondence, files, and reports of the office.
- Organize and prioritize assignments, cope with varying demands and work under pressure with frequent interruptions.
- Analyze information, and interpret and apply technical, legal and departmental information encountered in the performance of responsibilities.
- Develop appropriate, effective and efficient methods of completing assignments through others.
- Follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Supervise, work with and communicate effectively with subordinates.
- Type accurately and at a speed necessary to fulfill job responsibilities.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.
- Understand complex valuation and taxation structure.
- Occasionally travel for meetings and/or conferences.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.