Summary WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
Working for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of one of the fastest growing communities in the nation. In 2014, our community was names "The #1 Best Place to Live in America." Although proud of that honor, everyone on our team is committed to making McKinney an even better place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist. OUR CORE VALUES
City of McKinney employees work hard and at a very fast pace. However, we also look after and support one another. All of us are guided by four employee-generated values - Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (RISE). We are also supported by servant-based leaders who foster and support a healthy, family-oriented culture. All new employees are expected to embrace and live by our core values and commit to helping us sustain our exceptional work environment. SUMMARY
Under general supervision, performs technical tasks in the operation, maintenance and repair of the water distribution and wastewater collection system. Employees in this classification perform technical, manual work. This position is responsible for repairing water leaks, repairing and installing sewer and water mains, and operates and maintains moderate to complex equipment. Performs related work as required.Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
In order for us to continue to achieve our primary function of making McKinney a better place to live, work, and raise a family, we hold these expectations for all employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Learn and demonstrate an understanding of how team, department, and City goals are interconnected.
- Contribute to a positive work culture.
- Ability to assess his/her work performance or the work performance of the team.
- Contribute to the development of others and/or the working unit or overall organization.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team, to demonstrate team skills, and to perform a fair share of team responsibilities.
- Ability to continuously learn and develop through a mix of internal and external training opportunities, and if applicable, encourage subordinates to do the same.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Comply with all written City policies and procedures.
- Adhere to assigned work schedule as outlined in City and department attendance policies and procedures.
- Drives to and from work locations as assigned.
- Inspects job sites and enforces safety procedures.
- Operates, checks, and maintains moderate to complex equipment.
- Responds to citizen complaints and concerns.
- Installs new water mains of various sizes.
- Disinfects and prepares new mains for testing and sampling.
- Locates and repairs water leaks on water mains.
- Makes water taps for various size water mains.
- Locates and repairs sewer mains and manholes.
- Locates and unblocks stoppages in sewer mains.
- Responds to emergency situations after hours or on weekends.
- Maintains/upgrades manholes.
- Operates jet flusher and dump truck.
- Serves on callout crew, as needed.
- Maintains and cleans tools and job sites.
- Performs other functions as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
Required Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to embrace and embody the City's core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, subordinates, and people to whom service is provided.
- Ability to produce desired work outcomes, including quality, quantity, and timeliness.
- Ability to plan and organize work, time, and resources, and if applicable, that of subordinates.
- Requires the ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize, and/or analyze data and/or information. Includes exercising discretion in determining data classification, and in referencing such analysis to established standards for the purpose of recognizing actual or probable interactive effects and relationships.
- Requires the ability provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others on how to apply procedures and standards to specific situations.
- Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of descriptive data and information, such as water and sewer maps, equipment operator manuals, and line locates.
- Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; ability to utilize principles of fractions; ability to interpret graphs.
- Requires ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form. Involves semi-routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgment concerning choices of action.
- Requires the ability to exercise the judgment required in situations characterized by repetitive or short cycle operations covered by set procedures or sequences.
- Requires the ability to perform coordinated movements involving placing and turning motions, such as operating a TV camera for sewer lines, back hoe, flusher and dump truck and trailer, front-end loader, air compressor, gas and electrical pumps, and various hand tools.
- The ability to work in a team environment; contribute as a team member and treat co-workers, subordinates and customers with respect.
- Build professional relationships with internal staff and customers.
- Offer flexibility and adaptability, especially during times of change.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
High school diploma or GED; supplemented by two (2) years previous experience and/or training involving water/wastewater construction, maintenance and repair type work, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Must posses a valid Class A commercial driver's license or the ability to obtain within three (3) months of employment. Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Physical Demands/Supplemental PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must pass a drug screen, driving record check, and background check.
- Must have a valid Texas Class C driver's license.
- During storms or natural disasters, staff will be divided into two 12 hour shifts. During storms or natural disasters, staff may be called in while on vacation.
Tasks involve the ability to exert heavy physical effort in heavy work, with greater emphasis on climbing and balancing, but typically also involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50 pounds); may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials (up to 100 pounds). Some tasks require visual and odor perception and discrimination. WORK ENVIRONMENT
There is limited exposure to environmental conditions. Task may require exposure to strong odors and/or smoke, traffic hazards, extreme heat/cold or extreme weather conditions. SUPPLEMENTAL
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The City of McKinney is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) committed to an alcohol / drug free workplace and to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous