Minimum Qualifications Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Notes to Applicants Purpose:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus one (1) year of experience in a field related to outreach work involving a variety of social service programs.
Under direction of Site Supervisor: Assists bridge guests by providing information and education about available resources; Coordinates with staff providing onsite services and referral to social services; Tracks clients receiving case management services by partner agencies; Assesses bridge shelter guests' needs for assistance and resources; Assists with navigation to obtaining resources; Records data on appropriate forms and logs; Adhering to safety (including COVID -19 and other public health) protocols, provides customer service duties for bridge shelter guest When public health responds to an emergency, you may be assigned activities that are outside your regular job description. This may involve responding at any time, including nights and weekends with possible deployment to locations other than Austin Public Health.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill in perceiving and reacting sensitively to the needs of others.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of required HIPPA and other Texas privacy laws.
- Application of good knowledge of current cultural, social, economic and public health issues and community demographics.
- Interacts with clients, community partners and co-workers with fairness and equity and deliver services free of bias or prejudice.
- Ensure the health and safety of the community within ability and resources and treat the diverse customers with thoughtful listening and respect.
This position will require a pre-employment Criminal Background Investigation ( CBI ).
If you are identified as a top candidate, verification of your education, which may include High School graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees, will be required.
Please ensure that the email address and contact information you provide is current, secure and readily accessible to you. We will not be responsible in any way if you do not receive our e-mails or fail to check your inbox in a timely manner.
Any Personal Protective Equipment ( PPE ) needed will be provided.
Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. Please note that the Department may close the job posting at any time after 7 days. Pay Range
$17.00 - $20.22 Hours
Shifts/Days Vary. Job Close Date
11/04/2021 Type of Posting
Austin Public Health Regular/Temporary
Temporary (No benefits) Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
7400 IH 35, Austin, TX Preferred Qualifications
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Experience in Social Work.
- Prior experience with HMIS preferred.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing, with limited supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
Coordinate activities of homeless shelter, i.e. public programs, assistance programs, crisis intervention, etc. Write informational reports. Record data on appropriate form/log, etc. Schedule use of meeting rooms, equipment, etc. Refer citizens to appropriate agency or program. Interview applicants and/or families to assess their need for assistance and/or resources. Speak as city representative before public groups. Conduct meetings. Develop and conduct public information and education programs. Review work for accuracy and completeness. Assign job duties and monitor task completion. Interview job applicants. Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
None. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of record keeping procedures.
- Knowledge of proper safety practices, procedures and regulations applicable to work being performed.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
- Skill in determining needs of neighborhood residents through surveys and individual contact.
- Ability to schedule jobs to accomplish maximum effective work during a shift.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to complete applications and appeals for assistance programs.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus one (1) year of experience in a field related to outreach work involving a variety of social service programs. Do you meet these minimum requirements?
* If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
* Describe a past experience when you made sure to follow-up on a request or concern to ensure a customer was satisfied.
(Open Ended Question)
* Due to working in high risk areas, applicants applying for this position must comply with the departments immunization policy as a condition of employment. Can you meet this requirement?
* In the prior twelve months have you been employed by, owned any interest in, or been an officer or board member, for any business entity, including a non-profit organization, that is transacting any business with the City of Austin, including a recipient of any contracts, grants, or any funds of any kind from the City of Austin?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Resume Optional Documents Cover Letter