Minimum Qualifications Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to engineering, plus eight (8) years engineering experience acquired either before and/or after licensing as a professional engineer.
Notes to Applicants
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Texas.
At the Public Works Department, our mission is to build and maintain a better community by delivering services to every corner of Austin. We want to set the standard for connecting people with safe and reliable infrastructure.
The Public Works Department values accountability, excellence, innovation, integrity, respect, safety, and unity. These values are supported by how we work; exploring ideas, embracing kindness, and encouraging trust. Position Description:
This position will support pavement related Capital Improvement Projects. As the Public Works (sponsor) department's representative, this engineer will direct the consultant design team, review and approve proposed improvements, attend project meetings, coordinate work with internal and external stakeholders, plan and monitor construction contracts (mostly IDIQ ), review test reports, address citizen queries, report project progress, aggressively monitor schedule and budget, inspect finished projects, provide engineering guidance as necessary, and resolve any quality concerns. Application Details:
A detailed, complete City of Austin employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications. For each position, please describe your specific experience as it relates to the minimum and preferred qualifications. Please be thorough in completing the employment application and list all experience that is relevant to this position. If you are selected as the top candidate, starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience.Travel:
The Public Works Department is comprised of multiple facilities located throughout Austin. If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program
, you may drive when necessary to different locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations
If you are identified as a top candidate, verification of your education, which may include High School graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees, will be required.
90 Day Provision for Additional Vacancy:
f the same or an additional vacancy occurs within the Public Works Department in the same job title within 90 days after the start date of the top candidate, the additional position may be offered to another top candidate from the same candidate pool. This may include filling other vacancies with the same job title in other division/work locations within the City of Austin Public Works Department. Decisions on assigned selection may be made at the time of hire based on the business needs of the department. Pay Range
$42.71 - $56.59Hours
Monday - Friday from 8:00am - 5:00pm.
Schedule is subject to change based on business needs. Job Close Date
10/24/2021 Type of Posting
Public Works Regular/Temporary
Temporary (No benefits) Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
Telework/4411 Meinardus Drive, Austin, TX 78744 Preferred Qualifications
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Pavement Construction and field oversight experience.
- Knowledge of City of Austin specifications and design guidelines.
- Familiarity with the City of Austin permitting processes.
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership role: leading projects, teams, or assignments.
- Ability to work in dynamic environment with multiple priorities.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Develops or oversees development of technical specifications and standards by applying knowledge of the principles and practices of discipline engineering, including the methods, materials, equipment and techniques used. Review, analyze and interpret plans, specifications, contracts and other related documents. Manages and coordinates programs/projects by reviewing and/or monitors projects/programs including the review of plans and development proposals for impacts related to project/program Plans, researches, designs, and implements engineering studies and projects and/or program areas by applying advance technical knowledge of engineering discipline. Manages and negotiates contracts by reviewing monthly progress reports, verifying final quantities and costs, compiling requisite documentation, reviewing change orders, and auditing as-built records. Acts as a liaison among consultants, contractors, subcontractors, manufacturers, fabricators or suppliers and City. Negotiates problems of changes, errors or deficiencies and ensures compliance with project specifications and requirements Interacts with internal and external customers to ensure requirements and needs are satisfied Reviews plans and provides recommendation changes, solutions, or implementation. Monitors projects for regulatory compliance by providing consultation and determinations in matters involving application and interpretation of regulations and policies. Manages/leads teams of technical personnel including assigning and monitoring tasks. Provides advanced technical training to staff and field personnel by reviewing business needs, evaluation of personnel, creating and applying training documentation, presentation and analysis of training. Develops and monitors budget of projects. Assist in develop, managing and submit proposed budget forecast planning for short and long term city planning Provides a high level of engineering and technical advice and direction. Possesses ability to troubleshoot advanced technical problems. Possesses ability to perform advanced engineering design Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Advanced knowledge of diversified, fundamental scientific and civil engineering concepts, phenomena, and relationships, and utilize such changes in solution of theoretical or practical civil engineering problems;
- Knowledge of advanced mathematical techniques such as trigonometry, calculus, and coordinate geometry
- Knowledge of modern methods, materials, and techniques of assigned discipline
- Knowledge of one or more of the following disciplines: Civil, Environmental, Structural, Architectural, Mechanical and/or Electrical engineering terminology and techniques.
- Knowledge of City of Austin budget planning, purchasing and contract policies and procedures
- Knowledge of applicability of established engineering principles and methods and solutions.
- Knowledge of phases of the plans review and inspections processes.
- Knowledge of preparation of cost estimates and engineering and feasibility reports
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements within the local and state ordinances and laws
- Skill in oral and written technical and/or general communication including preparation of written reports
- Skill in negotiations and handling conflict resolution
- Ability to perform more complex engineering computations, calculus, geometry, and trigonometry, rapidly and accurately.
- Ability to communicate and provide direction to peers and assigned personnel
- Ability to organize, analyze, interpret, and evaluate scientific civil engineering problems and provide practical, cost effective solutions;
- Ability to observe, compare, or monitor objects and data to determine compliance with prescribed operating or safety standards.
- Ability to use graphic instructions, such as blue prints, schematic
- drawings, layouts, or other visual aids
This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* This position requires graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a field related to engineering, plus eight (8) years engineering experience acquired either before and/or after licensing as a professional engineer. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* This position requires a current State of Texas Professional Engineering License? Do you meet this requirement
* Please describe your Pavement Construction and field oversight experience.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your knowledge of City of Austin specifications and design guidelines.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your familiarity with the City of Austin permitting processes.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience in a leadership role, leading projects, teams, or assignments. In your answer, please tell us how many years of experience you have with this.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience working in dynamic environment with multiple, competing priorities.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Resume Optional Documents Cover Letter