The purpose of this position is to ensure the proper installation and maintenance of the City's traffic control devices. This is accomplished by performing traffic signal and roadway lighting maintenance and repair; installing and maintaining fiber optic equipment; performing signal installations and programming; and ensuring proper traffic signal operation. Other duties include maintaining knowledge of current advances within the field; training employees; and interacting with other City employees and citizens. Must be able to work an "On Call" schedule including after hours, weekends and holidays.Essential Job Functions
Performs traffic signal and roadway lighting maintenance and repair by completing scheduled maintenance and repair; and completing emergency repairs as needed.
Performs signal installations and programming by installing traffic signals, school flashers, and flood warning devices; replacing major components; and programming controllers.
Ensures proper traffic signal operation and manually controlling signals for special functions or unusual circumstances.
Installs and maintains fiber optic equipment by installing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing fiber optic equipment, video equipment, and systems utilizing sophisticated electronic test equipment.
Keeps abreast of advances within the field by receiving training on all aspects of work areas including: signal and related equipment, fiber optics, new products, and how to troubleshoot and perform repairs correctly.
Trains employees by ensuring that all new Level I employees can properly maintain and repair small problems in cabinets and change bulbs in field signals.Minimum Qualifications
- One year of installation, maintenance, and repair of traffic control devices, traffic signals, electrical construction or related field.
- Must be able to take after hour, weekend and holiday standby either scheduled or as emergency call back.
- Must be able to obtain a Class A CDL within six months of employment and an International Municipal Signal Association Level 1 Traffic Signal Technician within one year. Help obtaining these may be provided by the City of Grand Prairie through training classes or other means.
- Have the ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals. Do minor mathematical calculations such as square footage or amperage of circuit.
- This employee should be able to performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results having some discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices.
- Work requires analysis and judgment in accomplishing diversified duties. Requires the exercise of independent thinking within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.
Closing Date/Time: 10/22/2021 5:00 PM Central