Under basic supervision, provides care for animals in the City animal shelter. Essential Functions
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Cleans and maintains Animal Shelter facilities and grounds daily, including feeding, watering and grooming animals; monitors animals for illness and disease and provides medications.
- Receives animals brought to the shelter. Performs initial exams and maintains records using the shelter software.
- Provides customer assistance; maintains and updates files and assists with reports and computer entry.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- City policies and procedures.
- Policies, rules, and regulations governing the conduct and safety of Animal Control programs.
- Basic record keeping practices and customer service standards and protocols.
- Safety rules and regulations, occupational hazards, and safety precautions in public facilities.
- Explaining federal and state rules and regulations and City ordinances, policies and procedures.
- Dealing tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Following and enforcing verbal and written instructions and procedures.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
Physical Demands Heavy Work:
- Some animal care experience.
- A valid Texas Driver's License.
- Exerting in excess of 75 pounds of force occasionally and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Required physically restrain animals.
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.