Recruitment Number VA1488
Posting Period Open Until Filled (Review of Applications will begin 10/01/21. Applications received after that date may be considered.)
On Campus Only No
Working Title SUPERVISOR OF CUSTODIAL SERVICES (Administrator I)
Class Title ADMINISTRATOR I
Salary Range (From $ to $) Salary commensurate with background and experience of the individual selected. (Anticipated hiring range: $50,000 - $55,000 per year).
Department FMS Custodial Services
Number of Positions 1
FLSA Code Exempt
Status At Will
Pay Plan 12/12
CBU/MOU M80 - Management Personnel Plan
Quick Link https://jobs.csuchico.edu/postings/6742
Hours Per Day 8 hours during the school year / 10 hours during the summer
Days Per Week 5 days during the school year / 4 days during the summer
Shift Evenings (1pm - 9:30pm)
Under general supervision, the incumbent will perform a variety of administrative and support tasks associated with campus custodial operations including: plan, coordinate, supervise, and evaluate the work of approx. 30 custodians engaged in custodial and housekeeping tasks; train and instruct custodians in the proper use of equipment, material, safety, and accepted custodial techniques; schedule and assign non-routine projects; make inspections and maintain safety standards; identify and report faulty equipment and needed repairs; evaluate custodial equipment, procedures, and techniques and recommend changes and improvements; develop and recommend long-range plans for upgrading and replacing equipment; enforce security procedures and regulations; monitor the use of supplies and materials; assist in preparing the custodial budget; assist in problem-solving and make recommendations; work with faculty, staff, students, and others to coordinate moving furniture and equipment and arrange facilities for special events; maintain records and prepare reports; maintain daily/weekly/monthly records on absentee levels, quarterly inspections, special events and overtime charges; and perform other duties as assigned.
For a full description of job duties, please visit: https://csuchico.box.com/v/VA1488-Position-Description
Effective September 30, 2021, the CSU will require faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or have received a medical or religious exemption. Selected candidates should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/. Questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org (staff and management positions) or email@example.com (faculty positions).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Incumbent must possess:
• Comprehensive knowledge of cleaning standards, floor care, carpet cleaning, safety, and biohazards, including blood borne pathogens.
Thorough knowledge of:
• Effective supervisory practices and techniques, employee-employer relationships, labor relations, and the management of a unit in a collective bargaining environment.
• Administrative techniques such as budgeting, cost estimating, planning and development of programs, organizing, delegating, and planning.
Working knowledge of:
• Methods, materials, chemicals, and equipment used in custodial work.
• Recycling needs and procedures.
• Computer literacy and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs and database management and an ability to learn additional computer software programs.
• Fluent in the use of standard office equipment (computers, copiers, phones, fax).
Incumbent must possess:
• Demonstrated leadership and team building skills.
• Demonstrated success working in and with diverse teams and with multiple customers.
• Strong communication (verbal and written); customer service; interpersonal. planning, collaboration and organizational skills.
• Demonstrated skills and success in conflict resolution.
• Demonstrated skills working effectively as a productive and collaborative member of a team or work group.
• Demonstrated competence in understanding, interpreting, and communicating procedures, policies, information, ideas, and instructions
• Demonstrated skills setting priorities to ensure project goals and objectives are obtained within time-lines and budgets.
• Skilled at providing quality work and continuous improvement, safety practices, analyzing/auditing/reviewing data and processes and solving practical problems, working with a diverse population.
Incumbent must have the ability to:
• Motivate, plan, organize, direct the work of subordinates and delegate effectively.
• Readiness for feedback and new perspectives.
• Define, review, and implement different or creative solutions to unusual or complex problems.
• Gain acceptance based on positive working relationships and recognition and an understanding of the need for teamwork.
• Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, staff, customers, and the public.
• Write reports, business correspondence and procedures manuals.
• Conduct in- service training on cleaning standards, floor care, carpet cleaning, safety, and biohazards including blood borne pathogens.
• Evaluate the productivity and performance of employees.
• Evaluate various cleaning materials and methods and determine which are best for various custodial/janitorial needs.
• Estimate needed quantities of materials.
• Prepare budget estimates and various reports to support the data collection necessary for the FMS maintenance management system.
• Analyze problems and situations and take effective action.
• Set and accomplish priorities.
• Maintain effective working relationships with a diverse population of faculty, staff, students, and others.
• Maintain records.
• Identify, analyze, and distinguish between alternative uses for limited resources.
• Interview, hire, and retain qualified staff.
• Read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of this position.
• Provide customer service to the campus community in a prompt, professional, and effective manner.
• Adjust to change (i.e. work environment, technology).
• Function cooperatively and productively as a member of a unit.
• Perform assigned duties.
Required Education and/or Experience
A Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration or closely related field, or equivalent combination of education or experience in the same.
Three years of full-time progressively responsible experience in custodial/janitorial operations for commercial or institutional cleaning environments; including a minimum of three years experience supervising employees engaged in custodial/janitorial or closely related discipline. Experience should also include, planning and organizing work schedules and the training, evaluating productivity, and performance of employees.
Preference may be given to applicants with the following as they may be considered specialized skills:
• Supervisorial experience in a Collective Bargaining environment.
• More than five years of administrative experience; or more than five years of supervisory experience.
• Experience conducting in-service training, which includes cleaning standards, floor care, carpet cleaning, safety, and biohazard training, including blood borne pathogen cleaning standards.
• Evaluating various cleaning materials and methods and determining which are best for various custodial/janitorial needs; and estimating needed quantities of materials.
• California State University, Chico, in accordance with CSU policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a background check (including a criminal records check, sexual offender registry check, and/or fingerprinting) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive. This position is considered a sensitive position based on CSU guidelines.
• The person holding this position is considered a "Limited Mandated Reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 (revised July 21, 2017) as a condition of employment.
• The duties of this position will include participation in a decision that may have a material/financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, this is a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code and the incumbent will be required to file a Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest and is subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. (Group/Category: Assoc or Asst Director/Supervisor / Project Manager - 2)
• This position is a Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA) designated managerial position and comes under the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. Individuals appointed to management positions serve at the pleasure of the President or designee. They are excluded from the collective bargaining process, are not subject to probationary service, and do not receive tenure or permanent status. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
• Throughout employment in this position incumbent must maintain a valid California Driver's License as well as continued completion and compliance of the CSU Defensive Driver's Training course.
Incumbent/applicant will need to be able to perform the essential job functions (duties) of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. This position alternates between remaining in a stationary position operating a personal computer for long periods of time and frequently moving about inside the office. Must be able to travel across campus to other offices and buildings for meetings and events.
The work environment of this position is customary of managing a custodial unit and will expose the manager to various contaminants such as cleaning solvents, building materials and construction materials. Work is primarily performed in campus facilities including offices, labs, classrooms, etc. Work hours include being available as needed to provide administration and oversight of crews that work various hours on campus (work schedule may be subject to change).
This position qualifies for benefits including tuition fee waiver (if eligible).
CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick leave, vacation, health insurance). Eligibility for standard CSU benefits is based on an appointment of half-time or more for a period exceeding six months. Employees appointed less than half-time or less than six months are not eligible for standard CSU benefits but do receive prorated sick leave and vacation.
Eligibility for Affordable Care Act (ACA) benefits is based on an appointment of at least three-quarter time, hired to work a minimum of 130 hours per month over the course of the appointment or works an average of 130 hours or more per month during the measurement period. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
About the University and Community
California State University (CSU), Chico is a comprehensive and residential public University, holding Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) designation and operating as part of the 23-campus CSU system. The University enrolls over 17,000 students from diverse cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds, with over half identifying as first-generation college students. Graduate and undergraduate programs boast high-quality research experiences, exceptional faculty mentoring, and civic and global engagement opportunities. The campus motto, "Today Decides Tomorrow," is brought to life by inclusive pedagogy, experiential learning, and co-curricular programming. The Chico Experience prepares students to be critical thinkers, engaged citizens, and inspired stewards of environmental, social, and economic resources. Together, they will become leaders solving the challenges of the 21st century.
The campus is located in Northern California, 90 minutes from the state capital, Sacramento, and a three-hour drive from San Francisco Bay Area. A safe residential community, Chico offers year-round natural beauty, outdoor leisure activities, and a thriving arts, music, and events scene. We acknowledge and are mindful that CSU, Chico stands on lands that were originally occupied by the first people of this area, the Mechoopda, and we recognize their distinctive spiritual relationship with this land and the waters that run through campus.
CSU, Chico is committed to recruiting outstanding candidates who reflect the diverse, intercultural, and intersectional identities of our student body. The ideal candidate will embrace our values predicated on the primacy of student success and the elimination of achievement gaps, have demonstrated experience working with diverse populations, and will contribute to policies, programs, and activities that support an inclusive, accessible, and equitable learning and working environment.
The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
Open Date (posting open date) 09/17/2021
Close Date (posting close date)
Open Until Filled Yes
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
1. In 2-3 paragraphs, please tell us what your interests and qualifications are as they relate to this position, why you would like to work in this position, and what your greatest strengths and weaknesses are relating to this position?
(Open Ended Question)
2. Cover Letter
1. Optional Applicant Documents
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled