Description: Position Rank and Title:
Assistant Professor - Linguistics (Syntax / Semantics)School/Department Name:
Linguistics and Language Development Compensation:
Commensurate with qualifications, experience, and rank as established by the CSU Salary Schedule
. See Benefits Summary
for details about the CSU's excellent employment benefits. Application Deadline:
December 1, 2021 (Applications accepted until filled or closed) Target Start Date:
August 2022 First Review Date (or Closing Date):
December 1, 2021. Phone interviews to take place in February 2022.
The Department of Linguistics and Language Development at San José State University is pleased to announce a position in Syntax / Semantics at the rank of Assistant Professor. SJSU is the only CSU campus in northern California with a dedicated linguistics department, founded in 1991. Situated in the Bay Area-among the most diverse regions in the world-the Department is committed to fostering understandings of language structure and use in the context of an increasingly multicultural and technological society. The Department is further dedicated to exploring societal inequities, how language contributes to those, and how such inequities may be alleviated through research, scholarship, and practice. Find out more about our department at www.sjsu.edu/linguistics
The Department offers a bachelor's degree in linguistics, an MA in linguistics, and a MA in TESOL. We are also currently developing a master's of science degree program in computational linguistics.
The Department of Linguistics and Language Development and San José State University value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Our excellence in research, teaching, and service can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. SJSU enrolls more than 36,000 students, many of whom are historically underserved, and around 45% are first-generation and 38% are Pell-recipients. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution. The university's commitment to social justice extends from its vibrant, inclusive campus to an international network of over 275,000 alumni. As such, San José State is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
Successful candidates will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to equity and inclusion through their research, teaching, and/or service. We ask that all applicants include a Diversity Statement with their application package. A guide to writing this statement can be found at SJSU Diversity Statement Guidelines
, along with information about how these statements will be evaluated.
- Ph.D in linguistics or a related field by the time of appointment
- Demonstrated ability to teach courses and conduct research in syntax / semantics
- Strong commitment to teamwork and collegiality
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience
- Ability to teach a variety of approaches to linguistics, as well as some commonly used in computational linguistics
- Experience in designing and developing graduate level courses and programs
- Evidence of both undergraduate and graduate mentoring
- Ability to seek and secure grant funding
- Commitment to collaboration within and across institutional contexts
- Experience working with Black, Latinx, Indigenous, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom, and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusion of these groups within higher education and the field of Linguistics shape patterns of participation and outcomes
- Teach courses in linguistics, especially in syntax and semantics, at both undergraduate and graduate levels, in addition to other linguistics and general education courses as needed
- Be actively engaged in scholarly activities as evidenced by seeking grants, presenting professional papers, and publishing peer-reviewed articles
- Advise students and assist with program coordination and development
- Participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committee and other service assignments
- The candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity - in age, abilities, cultural background, ethnicity, religion, economic background, primary language, sexual orientation, gender identity, and academic preparation - through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- letter of interest
- curriculum vitae
- diversity statement
- statement of teaching interests/philosophy
- research statement
- three reference letters
Inquiries may be directed to the Department Chair: Stefan Frazier <firstname.lastname@example.org
> Conditional Offer
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.San José State University: Silicon Valley's Public University
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley - one of the most innovative regions in the world - San José State University
is the founding campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system and the first public university in the West. The 2020 #1 Most Transformative University in the nation according to Money Magazine, San José State is an essential partner in the economic, cultural and social development of Silicon Valley, the Bay Area and California. SJSU is a top-200 school nationally in research funding and second highest in research productivity in the CSU system. This cutting-edge research, combined with its world-class scholarship, student-centered learning opportunities, and experiential and interdisciplinary programs, allows SJSU to provide transformative opportunities that advance the public good locally and globally.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled