Description: Job Summary
Under general supervision, this position leads the Applications Operations team. This team provides Tier 2 support, application administration, deployment, monitoring, and sustaining engineering support for a portfolio of critical campus applications and infrastructure services. The Operations Engineering lead contributes to service planning and deployment, provides subject matter expertise regarding the design, integration, and delivery of services, and provides innovative and strategically significant consultation, project management, and operational support of campus applications and services, including development operations (DevOps), affecting multiple disciplines or work units. This position anticipates issues, devises resolution methodology, and provides long-term and non-routine assistance to ensure applications and infrastructure function together, to meet business needs. Serves as a subject matter expert, internal and external point of contact, and provides guidance to leadership on technology strategies and critical technology issues. Department Summary
Cal Poly's Information Technology Services (ITS) provides a wide range of technical services and support to the university's faculty, staff and students. We are a group of more than 100 IT professionals with a passion for providing great service and innovative technology to our customers. Key Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and assign work by leading sprint planning meetings, standup meetings, and value stream delivery for designated service area.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve established objectives by managing project timelines, coordinating resources and staff, and leading implementation efforts.
- Demonstrated skills working with cloud technologies and DevOps application management strategies and techniques; CI/CD workflows and code management standards.
- Demonstrated skill with deployment automation tools and techniques; demonstrated skill utilizing Ansible, Chef, or Puppet.
- Demonstrated skill working with cloud infrastructure platforms (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Demonstrated skills developing applications using modern languages and frameworks (e.g., Java/JavaEE, Python, etc.).
- Demonstrated skills using database/query languages to store, manipulate, and retrieve data (e.g., MySQL, Oracle, MSSQL, PostgreSQL, or Aurora).
- Thorough working knowledge of software development life cycle (SDLC), structured programming, object-oriented design and development techniques, continuous improvement and change management business practices.
- Thorough working knowledge of testing practices, application debugging and troubleshooting procedures.
Bachelor's degree and two years of relevant experience. Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for up to two years of the required education on a year-for-year basis. Degree in computer science or related field highly preferred.
- Associate AWS SysOps Administrator or higher
- Associate AWS Developer or higher
Anticipated Hiring Range: $79,000 - $105,000 annually
Classification Range: $52,464 - $129,504 annually Cal Poly
Known for its Learn by Doing pedagogy, Cal Poly is the flagship of the world-renowned California State University system. Annually recognized as one of the top public universities in the nation, Cal Poly continues to offer an academic curriculum based on learned experience gained through real-world practice. Located in San Luis Obispo, Cal Poly is nestled comfortably among the coastal foothills, minutes from the Pacific Ocean and equidistant to the Bay Area and Los Angeles.
Cal Poly offers a best-in-class benefits program, including health, dental and vision insurance, retirement participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System, and educational benefits for eligible employees. See our benefits website
for additional information. Diversity Statement
At Cal Poly, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Poly is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Supplemental Information
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter.
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo is not a sponsoring agency for staff positions (i.e. H-1B visas).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled