Placer County is comprised of over 1,400 square miles of beautiful and diverse geography, ranging from the residential and commercial areas of South Placer, through the historic foothill areas of Auburn, Foresthill, and Colfax, and to the County's jewel of the North Lake Tahoe basin. Placer is a great place to live, work, play and learn. For more information about Placer County, please visit www.visitplacer.com POSITION INFORMATION
The Department of Public Works currently has one permanent full-time vacancy for a Senior Bus Driver in Tahoe, CA. This position performs a full range of transit related duties including training, dispatch, driving, record keeping and other duties related to assisting in transit system administration. The position receives supervision from the Transportation Supervisor and exercises direct supervision of Bus Drivers. This position uses a number of tools and methods to perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility. This recruitment is open until filled. In order to be considered during the first round of screening, please submit your application before Tuesday, October 5 at 5:00 p.m. Following this date, applications will be screened on a bi-weekly basis. Salary plus up to an additional $875 per month Tahoe Branch Assignment Premium for employees who meet residency requirements. BENEFITS
Placer County offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees. The following information represents benefits currently available to permanent Placer County employees and may be subject to change. Applicants should inquire as to the most current benefit package during hiring interviews or by contacting the Human Resources Department. Click here to view General benefits
For more information regarding the benefits Placer County has to offer, please visit Placer County's Human Resources website. DEFINITION
To coordinate driver training; to train Bus Drivers to required standards for operating buses in Placer County transit systems; to operate a bus in transporting passengers on Placer County transit systems; and to assist in transit system administration. DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
This is the advanced journey level class in the Bus Driver series. Employees within this class are distinguished from the Bus Driver by the performance of the full range of duties as assigned including training of Bus Drivers. Employees at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit. Employees in this class provide direct supervision to Bus Drivers in terms of training of staff and directing day-to-day operations. This class is distinguished from the Transportation Supervisor in that the Senior Bus Driver does not conduct performance evaluations; recommend discipline or implement discipline procedures as directed. SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from the Transportation Supervisor.
Exercises direct supervision over Bus Drivers. EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS It is the responsibility of applicants to identify in their application materials how they meet the minimum qualifications below. Experience and Training
- Plan and conduct classroom and behind-the-wheel training for new drivers; plan and conduct refresher and safety training for experienced drivers; document training provided in driver files.
- Acquire and maintain training and safety materials.
- Drive bus in the transportation of passengers on a fixed-route or request basis; maintain on-time service and safe operation; clean bus and perform routine bus maintenance as required.
- Perform communication and dispatch duties on a relief basis or when assigned.
- Maintain records and statistics and enter data in a computer.
- When assigned, count fare-box receipts; prepare and make bank deposits.
- When assigned, assist in maintenance of bus shelters, stops and the transit system office.
- When assigned, order and pick-up supplies.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other County employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be: Experience:
Two years of responsible journey level experience equivalent to a Bus Driver for one of the Placer County transit systems. Training:
Successful completion of the experience requirement is proof of sufficient training for this class. Required License or Certificate:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES Knowledge of:
- Possession of a valid Class A or B driver's license or the equivalent with passenger endorsements and no air brake restrictions. Proof of adequate vehicle insurance and medical clearance may also be required.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain prior to completion of the probationary period, a Mass Transit Training Certificate issued by the Transportation Safety Institute or California Department of Education.
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain, a Verification of Transit Training (VTT) certificate issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles or the equivalent training to operate a public transit vehicle in passenger service prior to the completion of the probationary period.
- Possession of valid CPR and First Aid certificate is desirable.
- Principles and practices of transit system operation.
- Principles and methods of training.
- Large vehicle operation and maintenance.
- Safety and emergency procedures.
- Principles of customer service.
- Transit-related laws and regulations.
- Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
SELECTION PROCEDURE Training & Experience Rating (100%)
- Drive a bus and maintain the necessary licensing and physical standards.
- Train others through classroom presentations and behind-the-wheel instruction.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand bus driving activities and observe safety rules. Intermittently analyze driving conditions; identify safety hazards; and remember how to operate a bus.
- Intermittently sit while driving a bus; stand and walk while performing routine maintenance on a bus; regularly lift very heavy weight.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Work with various cultural and ethnic groups in a tactful and effective manner.
- Act quickly and calmly in emergency situations.
Based upon responses to the supplemental questionnaire, the applicant's education, training, and experience will be evaluated using a pre-determined formula. Scores from this evaluation will determine applicant ranking and placement on the eligible list. CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT
Specific position(s) within this classification designated as Safety Sensitive may require applicants to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Clearinghouse and to provide consent for Placer County to conduct a full query of their records within the Clearinghouse prior to an offer of employment. SUBSTITUTE LISTS
The eligible list resulting from this recruitment may be certified as a substitute list for a substantially similar classification. For this purpose, a substantially similar classification is one at a lower level in the same classification (example: entry level vs. journey level) and/or a similar classification (similar work performed, similar training and experience qualifications required). If you are contacted for an interview by a County department, you will be informed of the classification and other relevant information. If you choose not to interview for a substantially similar classification, you will remain on the eligible list for which you originally applied. EMPLOYEES OF OTHER PUBLIC AGENCIES
Placer County offers an expedited process for qualifying certain applicants for interviews. Candidates currently employed, or employed within the last year, by a public agency operating under a personnel civil service or merit system may be eligible to be placed on a Public Agency Eligible List and certified as eligible for appointment to a similar job assignment without going through the examination process. For more information on the Public Agency Eligible List, to download forms, or to apply, please Click here
. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Thank you for your interest in employment with Placer County. Placer County is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an active nondiscrimination program. It is the stated policy of Placer County that harassment, discrimination, and retaliation are prohibited and that all employees, applicants, agents, contractors, and interns/volunteers shall receive equal consideration and treatment. All terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, transfer, and promotion will be based on the qualifications of the individual for the positions being filled regardless of gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, race (including traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles such as braids, locks, and twists), color, ancestry, religion (including creed and belief), national origin, citizenship, physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), mental disability, medical condition (including cancer or genetic characteristics/information), age (40 or over), marital status, military and/or veteran status, sex (including parental status, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and related medical conditions), political orientation, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Please contact the Human Resources Department at least 5 working days before a scheduled examination if you require accommodation in the examination process. Medical disability verification may be required prior to accommodation. Selection PlanConclusion For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Beth LaChapelle, Administrative Technician, at email@example.com
Closing Date/Time: Open Until Filled