Come join the City of Long Beach! Our Community Recreation Services Bureau, in the Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine, is seeking amazing Recreation Program Leaders to assist with a wide range of programs at our many beautiful parks. These positions can be filled at the following levels, depending on qualifications:
RECREATION LEADER SPECIALIST III - $ 14.45 / hour
RECREATION LEADER SPECIALIST IV - $ 15.12 / hour
The Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine is a nationally recognized and award-winning organization with 1,100 full-time/part time staff and a budget of $58 million. The Department oversees facilities and programs that reflect the needs and interests of a culturally diverse community, including: 170 parks with more than 3,200 acres devoted to open space and recreation, 27 community centers, 3 public pools, 6 miles of beaches, and 3 marinas.
The Department provides free and fee-based recreational programs and leisure opportunities, both self-directed and organized, for people of all ages and cultures. Youth programs include free youth sports for ages 5 to 14 serving nearly 10,000 participants annually, summer and vacation day camps, 2,100 recreational and educational classes, sailing and aquatics instruction, teen center activities, skateboarding opportunities, and supervised afterschool and weekend activities at parks and schools. In addition, approximately 12,000 youth participate in non-Department sports leagues that utilize park facilities. Below are some of the programs currently seeking staff: AFTER SCHOOL
The After School Program is offered during the school year for ages 5-12. Youth participate in activities that include: homework assistance, indoor and outdoor games, sports, art, cooking, holiday celebrations, and more. Generally offered Monday-Friday 3-6 p.m. with some exceptions. YOUTH SPORTS
The Youth Sports Program is offered year-round for youth ages 5 to 14. Our program focuses on developing fundamentals and good sportsmanship. Youth Sports Coaches and Officials provide instruction and officiating in ball hockey, basketball, indoor soccer, tee ball, baseball, softball, flag football and volleyball. (Must have working knowledge of sports, either leading/coaching a team or playing on a team.) CURRENT VACANCIES:
There are current openings at Whaley Park. However, this recruitment may be used to fill positions at other parks/locations as they become available.
This position is temporary and scheduled hours may vary by week on an as-needed basis. From June through August, the successful candidate may work up to 40 hours per week. The City will comply with the requirements of the Paid Sick Leave Law in accordance with California Code Section 245 through. Part-time non-career employees are not eligible for vacation, holidays, or any other benefits unless governed by law. EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
- Under direction, design, plan, and implement various recreational program activities;
- Participate with children of various ages during all activities;
- Attend all mandatory staff meetings and in-service and training sessions;
- Ensure the health, safety, and well being of the children in your care at all times;
- Adhere to the department dress code by maintaining a neat and clean personal appearance;
- Implement the department and site administrative and record keeping policies and procedures;
- Perform all other assigned duties as requested by the lead staff and/or supervisor.
This position is open to all candidates who meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Must be at least 16 years of age (if under 18, must have valid permit to work);
- Must have access to reliable transportation to and from work;
- Be willing to work a flexible schedule, possibly weekends, and assist various programs at various park locations;
- Be able to relate well to children, parents and staff (school and agency);
- Be able and willing to adapt to a changing environment.
- Experience in recreation programs, child care, sports, dance, music, the arts, and/or other related areas is desirable.
All candidates must submit a complete application no later than 11:59 p.m., Tuesday, October 19, 2021.
The most qualified applicants will be invited to continue in the selection process.
The City of Long Beach intends to provide reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If a special accommodation is desired or if you would like to request this information in an alternative format, please call (562) 570-3181. In support of the City's Language Access Policy, bilingual skills (Spanish, Khmer and/or Tagalog) are desirable for positions interacting with the public. The City of Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of the organization.
For technical issues with your application, please call (877) 204-4442.Closing Date/Time: 10/19/2021 11:59 PM Pacific