Description: Job Summary
Under general supervision of the department chair, the position exercises independent judgment, discretion, ingenuity, and innovation to resolve complex technical problems; provides substantive input to department regarding their acquisition of equipment, and additional resources; manages service contracts, and provides the leadership necessary to streamline and maintain effective laboratory operations.
Within the Environmental Engineering program, 17 hands-on laboratory sections are offered annually. During each quarter, upwards of 100 students are involved in such "hands-on" activities. This position will fill the need to manage and maintain laboratory spaces; lead, manage, and orchestrate safety and safety measures; maintain and repair specialty instruments and equipment; and champion lab and demonstration activities for faculty and students.
Specific to safety, the position incumbent will manage lab safety for all ENVE labs facilitating faculty, staff, and student training on laboratory chemical and hazardous materials/waste safety protocols specific to ENVE. This position will, in collaboration with faculty, develop and maintain a continual safety improvement plan, develop and conduct quarterly safety training sessions available to all students working in ENVE labs assuring a consistent and high-quality training throughout ENVE.
Specific to specialty equipment management, this position will be in responsible charge of protecting and maintaining the Department's investments in specialty ENVE equipment. This includes maintaining accurate maintenance records and performing service, complex repairs, or arranging service visits. This position incumbent will be required to analyze, diagnose, and troubleshoot in the event of equipment failure or malfunction. In addition to maintaining the department's sensitive analytical and research equipment, this position will be involved with the design of unique and novel equipment, sensors, and research systems, sometimes requiring customized equipment or experimental systems to meet specific needs of undergraduate and graduate research projects.
The Cal Poly Civil and Environmental Engineering (CE/ENVE) department seeks a highly-skilled individual who can serve as laboratory equipment technician (60%) and laboratory and course instructor (40%). The combined department equipment technician coupled with laboratory/lecturer instruction provides a synergistic way to monitor and maintain our ENVE laboratory equipment and support student hands-on learning. The expectations and requirements of the laboratory equipment technician part of the position are described in this job posting. The laboratory and course instruction component will be assigned in consultation with the CE/ENVE Department Chair based on the skill set and interests of the incumbent, as well as the needs of the department. Note: This job will be 60% equipment technician II work and 40% course instructor work. You will receive a unique offer letter for each part of this position. Department Summary
The Civil and Environmental Engineering Department was officially formed in 1981, though transportation and environmental engineering degree programs had been in place at Cal Poly for some time. Since its inception, the department has continued to grow. Currently, there are approximately 650 undergraduate students enrolled in the Civil Engineering Program. Approximately 200 undergraduates are currently enrolled in the Environmental Engineering Program. In addition, the department supports about 50 graduate students who are working toward the Master of Science degree. Both the Civil and Environmental Engineering Programs are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. The programs stress teamwork, communication, problem-solving, and state-of-the-practice analysis and design techniques. Each program is laboratory intensive, with hands-on student learning stressed in support of the University's "learn by doing" philosophy.Key Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the fabrication, installation, maintenance. repair and operation of equipment used in environmental engineering and/or analytical chemistry; thorough knowledge of equipment design theory; thorough knowledge of repair, maintenance, troubleshooting and overhaul of laboratory and analytical equipment
- Ability to apply previous experience and knowledge to the design of new applications
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate the work of technical projects
- Ability to review and prepare specifications for technical equipment
- Ability to design, fabricate, and assemble devices
- Ability to coordinate equipment repair performed by other specialists
- Ability to analyze equipment problems and determine what repairs are needed
- Ability to install, replace, repair, and maintain a wide variety of equipment used or environmental engineering research and analysis
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships
- Ability to train and supervise others
- Ability to work independently, organize, set goals, oversee projects and lead others
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds
- Demonstrated customer service skills, including a high level of diplomacy and professionalism
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing. Ability to use various computer applications (word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, internet, etc.) to communicate to others and to acquire information and purchase equipment, parts and materials. Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies and procedures
Equivalent to two years of journey-level or skilled experience in the maintenance, repair, and operation of scientific or technical equipment in the specialized category including construction and fabrication and some precision work or requiring trade or craft skills working with a variety of unique materials. (Equivalent to two years of semi-skilled experience maintaining and repairing scientific or technical equipment or related experience in the type of equipment to which assigned as part of instructional support activities may be substituted for one year of the required experience. Equivalent to two years of trade school or technical arts training with specialization in the type of equipment repair to which assigned, completion of an apprenticeship program, or completion of a full military specialization in the required type of equipment maintenance and repair for one year of the required experience). Salary:
Anticipated Hiring Range: $33,000 - $42,000 per year (based on 0.6FTE/24 hours per week)
Classification Range: $ 44,976 - $ 81,348 per year (based on 1.0FTE/40 hours per week)Cal Poly
Known for its Learn by Doing pedagogy, Cal Poly is the flagship of the world-renowned California State University system. Annually recognized as one of the top public universities in the nation, Cal Poly continues to offer an academic curriculum based on learned experience gained through real-world practice. Located in San Luis Obispo, Cal Poly is nestled comfortably among the coastal foothills, minutes from the Pacific Ocean and equidistant to the Bay Area and Los Angeles.
Cal Poly offers a best-in-class benefits program, including health, dental and vision insurance, retirement participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System, and educational benefits for eligible employees. See our benefits website
for additional information. Diversity Statement
At Cal Poly, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. Cal Poly is an equal opportunity employer. Supplemental Information
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo is not a sponsoring agency for staff positions (i.e. H1-B visas). Positions are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled