Reporting to the Manager for Recruiting and Retention, and receiving work lead direction from the Recruiting and Onboarding Lead, the Recruiter works under limited supervision to manage the full cycle of recruitments for Staff and MPP vacancies, including all aspects of sourcing, advertising, pre-boarding and on-boarding, within the guidelines of campus and system wide policies including the CSU Collective Bargaining Agreements. The Recruiter is also responsible for conducting classification and compensation reviews for new and vacant Staff and MPP positions, including setting hiring salary ranges; working closely with campus managers and staff to provide solutions and ensure smooth transitions and consistency across the campus; maintaining classification and compensation equity; managing various recruiting and onboarding projects; and providing updates on operations to the Lead, the Manager, the Senior Director, and other UP management, when appropriate.
This position will work 50% of the time with University Housing.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Manage recruitment processes for Staff and Management vacancies across campus, ensuring confidentiality is adhered to and appropriate application review and interview techniques are used.
- Develop strong rapport with key campus stakeholders and consult with campus managers on the best way to proceed with open positions, providing creative solutions and setting a recruitment strategy.
- Attract candidates using various sources, such as social media networks, employee referrals, databases, etc. Ensure SJSU attracts and hires a diverse pool of employees, while growing a strong talent pipeline.
- Collaborate with Class/Comp Staff when alternatives to recruitment are necessary, such as reassignments, stipends or bonuses.
- Communicate Affirmative Action information to hiring managers, as needed, to ensure diverse candidate pools.
- Create announcements and post vacancies for recruitment in various SJSU and CSU systems and liaise with advertising vendor for posting outside of SJSU; make determination on best places to advertise based on needs of the department, Affirmative Action plan and advertising vendor recommendations.
- Prepare conditional and final offer letters and liaise with the candidate to ensure all documentation is signed and returned in a timely manner.
- Participate in CHRS/Page Up, system testing, system wide recruiting and onboarding activities.
- Conduct classification and compensation reviews of new and existing vacant positions, using job evaluation and analysis tools consisting of manager interviews and audits; make appropriate classification and compensation (hiring salary range) decisions.
- Develop position descriptions and obtain department agreement; ensure consistency across departments and divisions.
- Strong knowledge of Human Resources methods, procedures and practices; recruiting, sourcing, advertising and onboarding methods, procedures and practices; classification and compensation methods, procedures and practices; and software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, databases.
- Thorough working knowledge of current best practices and trends within recruiting and ability to apply knowledge to advance defined goals and outcomes
- Excellent oral, written communication and analytic skills; customer service and public relations skills.
- Strong skills in the collection, evaluation, and interpretation of data to develop sound conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to define problems, establish facts, collect data, draw conclusions and to effectively present information when responding to questions from internal and external customers.
- Ability to effectively present ideas and concepts in written or presentation format and use consultative facilitation skills to gain consensus.
- Ability to use ingenuity and innovation to conceive new approaches and solutions to address complex problems and issues.
- Ability to assess, formulate, and evaluate the impact of recommended or implemented policies from a strategic and operational perspective.
- Ability to analyze compensation data, draw conclusions and make decisions.
- Bachelor's degree or professional training program (or equivalent work experience) specific to the position and directly related work experience, or a combination of education and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position
- Three (3) years of relevant work experience
- Master's degree
- Experience working with recruiting and onboarding functions
- Experience in higher education
- Experience using multiple methods (social media, cold calls, LinkedIn, etc.) for Sourcing a diverse applicant pool
- Experience working in a collective bargaining environment
- Experience working with Affirmative Action reports and processes
Classification: Confidential Administrative Support II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,200/month - $5,500/month
Salary Range: $4,233/month - $9,514/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: September 19, 2021 through October 3, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.Contact Information
408-924-2252CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Additional Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled