09/21/21 Beginning Tuesday, September 21, 2021, at 8:30 a.m., Pacific Time (PT) Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. This announcement is being reposted to reopen the filing period TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job Opportunity DEFINITION :
This class provides professional nursing care and services to patients in a variety of settings. CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS :
Positions allocable to this class typically report to higher-level nurses or providers. Incumbents apply recognized nursing principles and practices in providing professional nursing care and/or services under close supervision in a variety of settings. Duties are performed in accordance with specific instructions, departmental policies and procedures and established general written standards of nursing care. Positions are responsible for assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating care as part of an interdisciplinary team. Incumbents serve as professional role models and may provide direction to others. Nursing practice at this level demonstrates the application of basic assessment skills; independent judgment and action; and adherence to patient privacy, confidentiality, and security guidelines.
Essential Job Functions
Assessment/Reassessment: An ongoing process which is continuous for the duration of the patient's stay.
- Follows established policies and procedures within their scope of practice.
- Complies with licensing and accreditation standards and other regulatory requirements.
- Conducts self-assessment of performance and identifies own learning needs.
- Consistently seeks assistance and feedback regarding patient and clinical practice issues.
- Accepts personal accountability and demonstrates initiative in continuing to develop nursing knowledge and skills.
- Communicates and collaborates effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary healthcare team as needed.
- Participates in patient care conferences, committee meetings, staff development, and education programs to increase or maintain professional competency.
- Seeks experiences that reflect current clinical practice to achieve and enhance professional and clinical skills and competencies.
- Remains up-to-date on current professional skills, trends, and issues.
- Participates in performance improvement activities.
- Maintains courteous and respectful relationships with patients, families, and co-workers.
- Provides care in a non-judgmental, non-discriminatory manner.
- Respects patient rights; adheres to and protects patient privacy, confidentiality, and security guidelines.
- Completes and maintains accurate and legible documentation and records in a clear, concise, and timely manner.
- Reports and may intervene in incidents involving patients, visitors, or employees.
- May delegate, assign, and/or supervise the assigned work of others including Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVNs), nursing attendants, technicians, clerical staff, and students.
- May participate in approved clinical investigations or research studies in accordance with departmental policies.
- May participate in product evaluation and product standardization activities.
- May participate in organization-wide committees and projects.
- Interviews patient and other individuals to collect information.
- Observes physical condition including physically examining the patient.
- Identifies economic, educational, and cultural barriers; patient values and beliefs; spiritual influences; and age specific and biophysical needs according to accepted standards of practice.
- Reviews all available information, including medical records, patient history, and other documentation.
- Documents all findings and observations.
- Initiates reassessment of patients as necessary when a patient is currently or potentially at physiologic, psychological, and psychosocial risk.
- Recognizes deviations from baseline and interprets subtle changes in a patient's condition.
- Formulates nursing care plans based upon assessment and in accordance with provider orders, procedures and/or protocols.
- Identifies nursing care objectives.
- Prioritizes patient care needs and activities as a member of an interdisciplinary patient care team.
- Coordinates patient care in collaboration with other interdisciplinary patient care team members.
- Establishes patient goals and treatment plans.
- Modifies plans of patient care based on reassessment findings, specific patient care needs, and/or changes in interdisciplinary treatment plan.
- Assists in discharge planning needs.
- Identifies appropriate tools and/or teaching methods for patient/family education.
- Provides individualized and specialized nursing care and administers medications and treatments to patients as prescribed.
- Observes patient's response to interventions and treatments and monitors for side effects of medication administration.
- Recognizes and responds to changes in patient status timely and appropriately. Intervenes when situations call for immediate action.
- Performs efficiently in emergency situations.
- Provides patient/family education based on identified learning needs utilizing available teaching resources.
- Counsels patients and care givers concerning patient care and treatment plans.
- Communicates identified needs and patient responses to members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Implements the integrated plan of care and coordinates patient care activities with members of the health care team.
- Provides discharge teaching including aftercare instructions, medication administration, follow-up appointments, and appropriate contact information.
- Recognizes safety hazards in the patient care environment and initiates timely and appropriate intervention.
- Uses patient care equipment and devices safely; recognizes when equipment and devices are not functioning correctly and takes timely and appropriate action (e.g. removing malfunctioning equipment from patient care area).
- Observes, evaluates, and communicates the effects of treatments and interventions.
- Documents patient's response to treatment or nursing care.
- Reassesses and revises plan of care in collaboration with other members of the health care team.
- Coordinates delivery of patient care with other services and disciplines to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
- Communicates with patients and care givers regarding changes in patient care and treatment plans.
Requirements MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
A license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.*-AND-
Current certification in Basic Life Support (BLS).** LICENSES:
- A license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing. To qualify, applicants must have a current and valid license as a Professional Registered Nurse, issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing, without limitations or restrictions.
- A current certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) Thisposition requires the possession of a current certification in Basic Life Support to perform job-related essential functions. Candidates offered these positions would be required to show proof of a current certification before appointment.
- A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
3 - Moderate: Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighting over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
- A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Nursing ***
- Experience as a Registered Nurse providing direct patient care in a hospital, or a healthcare facility
- Experience using Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Access, or Microsoft Powerpoint
*Please ensure the License and Certificate Section of the application is completed for the Registered Nurse License. Provide the title of your required license and certifications, number, date of issue, date of expiration and the name of the issuing agency as specified in the Minimum Requirements on your application at the time of filing or e-mail the information to email@example.com within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing.
**Applicants must attach a legible photocopy of their current/unexpired BLS certification to their application at the time of filing or e-mail the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing.
***In order to receive credit, you MUST include a legible copy of the official diploma, official transcripts, official letter signed by the Director of the Registrar, or an evaluation report of a transcript with your application or within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission to email@example.com.
Official diploma or official transcript, of official letter are defined as transcript or letter that bears the college seal and states "official and/or copy" issued by the school Registrar Office. A printout of the transcript from the school's website is NOT considered official and will not be accepted which may result in your application being rejected. NOTE:
Foreign studies MUST be evaluated by an accredited credential evaluation agency and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from the United States. An evaluation report of a transcript is defined as a report issued by an academic credential evaluation agency recognized by the NACES or the AICE of the United States.
Additional Information EXAMINATION:
This examination will consist of an Evaluation of Training and Experience based upon application, desirable qualifications and supplemental questionnaire weighted 100%.Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be added onto the list of eligible candidates.
Passing this examination and being added to the Eligible Register does not guarantee an offer of employment. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION: NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS
Applications will be Processed on an as-received basis and promulgated to the list of eligible candidates accordingly. SPECIAL INFORMATION: FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The Eligible Register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Public Health as they occur. AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Any, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
Applications must be filed ONLINE ONLY
. Applications submitted by mail, fax, or in person
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply"
button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
Any required documents and/or additional information, if any, must be received
with your application at the time of filing online or within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission to HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov. Applicants must submit their completed applications by 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly
shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS .
Fill out the application and Supplemental Questionnaire accurately and completely to receive full credit for any relevant education and/or job experience you include. In the space provided on the application for education, include names and addresses of schools attended, dates attended, degree(s) received, and degree major. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job/position title, start and end dates, the number of hours worked per week, and detailed description of work and duties performed. If the application and/or Supplemental Questionnaire is/are incomplete, the application will be REJECTED
If you are unable to attach the required documents with your application online, you must
email them to firstname.lastname@example.org within fifteen (15) calendar days from the date of the application submission. In the "Subject" of the e-mail please type the Exam Number and Exam Title. Failure to provide complete, accurate information will impact the assessment of your qualifications and the acceptance of your application into the examination process. IMPORTANT NOTES:
NO SHARING OF USER ID, E-MAIL AND PASSWORD:
- Please note that ALL information supplied by applicants and included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- Applications may be rejected at any stage of the examination and selection process.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION or RESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT.
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from Class Specification, Selection Requirements, and/or Special Requirements information serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so it will result in the application being rejected as INCOMPLETE and will not be accepted.
All applicants must file their application online using their OWN user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes in the format XXX-XX-XXXX. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
California Relay Services Phone: (800) 735-2922
ADA Coordinator Phone: (323) 914-8488
Teletype Phone: (800) 899-4099
Alternate Teletype Phone: (800) 897-0077
Department Contact Name: Exam Analyst
Department Contact Phone: (323) 914-8488
Department Contact E-mail: email@example.com