Salary: $6,897.00 USD
Salary Top: $9197.00
Apply By: Oct 22, 2021
Are you experienced in Finance, Accounting, and Budget Analysis? Do you possess knowledge in fiscal policy analysis and grant reviews? Do you want to play an essential part in the success of the City of Gilroy? If so, check out this opportunity!
ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is recruiting for a versatile financial professional to fill the position of Financial Analyst. The goal of the Finance Department is to provide timely and accurate financial information to city management, city council and the public and administer the city’s assets including cash and investments, in a prudent and responsible manner.
Under general supervision of the Finance Director, the Financial Analyst will perform a variety of professional level financial and accounting duties and budget analysis work for the Finance Department. Primary responsibility will include maintenance and administration of the financial system, performance of complex accounting entries and budgetary oversight, coordination of non-routine finance projects, creation and maintenance of financial reports, and analysis of other high-level financial issues. Additional work assignments including assisting other departments are anticipated. This is an exempt, mid-management level position in the Gilroy Management Association employee group.
The incumbent will have many opportunities to expand their knowledge and skills on advanced general ledger accounting and reporting.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The City's Finance team is a dynamic close-knit group that thrives on a culture of camaraderie, collaboration, and cohesion. Leveraging individual financial experience and expertise provides empowerment for creative and complex problem solving. We enjoy discussing, learning, and planning new financial and accounting methods and technologies and how they can be tactically applied to achieve organizational goals.
IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Have a broad knowledge base in financial management including government financing and budgeting, accounting theory and practices, and public finance.
- Have knowledge in accounting, auditing, financial forecasting, and budgeting principles and practices.
- Possess “hands on” experience and knowledge with payroll processing as well as knowledge and experience related to CalPERS reporting and analysis.
- Be passionate about governmental accounting and finance and be a professional who keeps up on new accounting rules and pronouncements.
- Have a high level of standards for financial data integrity and maintaining accurate and detailed records.
- Be a highly motivated and organized individual who does not let any tasks fall through the cracks.
- Possess advanced technology skills with prior relevant ERP and financial system experience.
- Analyze complex problems, evaluate alternatives, and use independent judgement to implement creative recommendations for process improvements.
- Possess a positive demeanor and outstanding interpersonal communication skills, both verbally and in writing, and establish and maintain effective working relationships with Supervisor, co-workers, other departments, outside agencies, and the general public.
- Have strong project management skills with the ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge in Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) is a plus!
FIRST YEAR PROJECTS INCLUDE:
- Playing a critical role in the ERP Implementation of the Tyler Munis Software Fixed Assets Module and assist with other modules as needed.
- Debt Management of outstanding bonds and loans and managing continuing disclosures reporting requirements.
- Perform complex accounting entries and budgetary oversight.
- Manage and coordinate non-routine projects as assigned.
- Perform professional level functions associated with the management, monitoring, and administration of the City-wide Debt Program, including assessment districts.
- Work with staff from all departments to provide information and assist with financial data and analysis.
- Review and update the annual Fee Schedule.
- Coordinate the annual financial audit process for the City.
- Conduct and or coordinate cost studies; perform analysis of information and allocation of charges.
- Coordinate phases of budget process through the financial system, plus creation and formatting of budget reports utilizing a report writer.
- Analyze problems, evaluate alternatives, and implement creative recommendations.
- Research past expenditures and project future changes using regression analysis and historical trending.
- Perform cash accounting and reconciliation duties.
- Analyze and reconcile subsidiary, budgetary, and general ledger accounts.
- Complete year-end audit tasks as assigned.
- Assist with the coordination of programs and development of data on projects or problems involving more than one department.
- Develop annual budgets for assigned cost centers.
- Provide support and serve as backup to Accounting Technician – Payroll performing full range of duties related to timekeeping and payroll preparation, to ensure the timely and accurate completion of payroll.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Changes to the Financial Analyst job description as noted above are subject to the final review and approval by the Gilroy Personnel Commission.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Accounting, Finance, Public Administration, or a closely related field.
- Three (3) years of responsible, professional work experience in the areas of Budgeting, Accounting, and/or Finance. One (1) year of local government accounting or finance experience that has included general accounting and budget responsibilities is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience performing detailed analysis and preparation of reports related to evaluation of financial data and budgetary compliance.
- Experience in utilization of current personal computer Excel spreadsheet and Microsoft word-processing applications.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Willingness to continue education and training by learning new skills as changes occur. Expand skills by taking additional courses and attending seminars, workshops, and individual study.
- Pass an employment background check to include a Department of Justice criminal record check.
- May be required to pass a post-offer medical examination, which includes a drug test.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) desired, but not required.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity please attach and submit the following required items with your NEOGOV application:
- A completed City of Gilroy online application including supplemental responses.
- A detailed cover letter expressing your interest in the position with the City of Gilroy
- A detailed resume that highlights your related skills and experience
- A list of three (3) professional references
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the 'Apply' tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
Recruitment Schedule – Key Dates*
- Application Closing Date: October 22, 2021
- Interview: Week of November 1, 2021
- Final Interviews and Practical Exercise: TBD
(*Note: The examination process/schedule may be changed as needed by the City.)
Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass an employment background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City's expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information. THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.
7351 Rosanna Street, Gilroy, California