Description CASUAL LIBRARIAN - Children and Teen ServicesCASUAL LIBRARIAN - Adult Services
(21 hours per week)
The City of Sunnyvale is seeking to fill the positions of Casual Librarian in Children and Teen Services and Casual Librarian in Adult Services. An energetic and highly motivated individual who possesses excellent customer service, technical and interpersonal skills is needed.
The ideal candidate will have experience working closely with the public in a fast-paced full-service library environment. Key responsibilities include presenting story times, staffing the information desk, creating new and innovative programs for the public, using state-of-the-art technology to develop library content, and selecting interesting and relevant titles for the collection. Special projects may include working on plans for a new branch library and community center in north Sunnyvale and expanding the Library's community engagement and outreach activities.
Librarians work under the direction of the Supervising Librarians of Adult Services or Children and Teen Services and other management staff in a team-oriented and forward-thinking environment.
Essential Job Functions
(May include, but are not limited to, the following):
- Provides information, reference and reader's advisory services.
- Interprets and implements library policies, procedures and resources.
- Assists patrons in locating, selecting and using materials, and in answering a wide variety of questions.
- Participates in collection development activities, including selection, evaluation, merchandising and de-selection that meet the needs of the community.
- Participates in professional meetings, organizations, committees and workshops as resources permit.
- Participates in assigned library projects.
- Trains and directs the work of other library personnel.
- Seeks, writes and administers grant programs and other special projects.
- Maintains library materials and information on various databases.
Adult or Children's/Teen Services:
- Plans and conducts programs on topics that include but are not limited to: computer applications, literature, book discussions, science, business and other topics of interest to the community.
- Organizes and carries out programs such as: storytelling, story times, book discussions, and school visits, recommendations of reading materials for children, teens, and parents.
- Speaks before community organizations and leads tours of the library.
- Plans and implements promotional activities for library events and services.
- Conducts database searches; adapts new technologies for improved library services.
- May maintain and develop the library's intranet and internet services, including the library website, mobile site, social networks, library catalog and other online resources.
Position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in using a computer keyboard. Additionally, the position requires near and far vision in reading written reports and work related documents. Acute hearing is required when providing phone and personal service. The need to lift, drag and push files, paper and documents weighing up to 25 pounds is also required. Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodation.
Minimum Qualifications Education & Experience:
The minimum qualification for education and experience can be met in the following way:
A Master's degree in Library and Information Science from an American Library Association accredited program.Knowledge of:
- Current practices, procedures and technologies used in professional library work.
- On-line data searching and other automated technologies used to access information.
- Book and non-book materials, reference resources, cataloging and classification plans and bibliographic utilities.
Some assignments may need a basic understanding or familiarity with:
- Basic personal computer hardware and peripherals.
- Third party vendor online resources, web site development and associated computer applications, database maintenance and support of an integrated library system.
- Online social networking applications.
- Contemporary computer languages and application programming interfaces.
- Carry out specific functions of the library system.
- Convey technical and resource information; advise and instruct library patrons in the use of library services and materials.
- Remain current and be aware of potential future technologies applicable to library services.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Communicate clearly, accurately, and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Plan and present material to diverse groups.
- Read and interpret complex technical documents and instructions.
- Develop innovative approaches to diverse library issues.
- Direct the activities of subordinate staff.
- Maintain accurate and orderly records.
- Work effectively as part of a group.
- Deal tactfully and effectively with the public and other City employees.
- Observe safety principles and work in a safe manner.
Work shifts, nights, weekends and holidays. License/Certificates:
Possession and continued maintenance of a valid class C California driver's license and a safe driving record or the ability to supply alternative transportation as approved by the hiring authority. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to speak other languages that represent the demographics of the community.
Application and Selection Process APPLICATION PROCESS
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit a City of Sunnyvale employment application, responses to the supplemental questions, and education verification to the Department of Human Resources. (Postmarks or faxes are not accepted).
Candidates are asked to fully describe any training, education, experience or skills relevant to this position. Electronic applications may be submitted on-line through the City's employment page at Sunnyvale.ca.gov and click on City jobs or application materials may be submitted to: Department of Human Resources, 505 West Olive Avenue, Suite 200, Sunnyvale, CA 94086. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.SELECTION PROCESS
Applications will be competitively screened based on the minimum qualifications of this position. Based upon a review of the application materials, the most qualified candidate applications will be forwarded to the hiring department for review. Application materials will be evaluated for job-related skills, experience and education. Individuals with the best match to the position will be invited to participate in an interview.Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis and information regarding next steps in the recruitment process will be sent via email. Please check your email regularly for status updates. You may contact Faye Brand, HR Technician at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 408-730-3015 for recruitment updates.
Any candidate that is selected by the hiring department will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, which may consist of a background history check, as well as a medical exam(s) administered by a City-selected physician(s) before hire. Prior to starting work, all newly-hired employees will be fingerprinted to check conviction history. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose conviction history will result in refusal of employment or termination. Positions which are covered by the Department of Transportation regulations are required to submit to a pre-employment drug test and to random drug and alcohol testing.
Individuals receiving offers of employment are required to provide either proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination or receipt of a negative COVID-19 test within 7 calendar days prior to their start date. Individuals receiving offers of employment from the City who do not comply with this policy will have their offer of employment rescinded.INFORMATION ABOUT PROOF OF EDUCATION
Any successful candidate selected by the hiring department will be required to submit proof of education (original copy of the diploma or college/university transcripts). Documents may be attached to the online application or emailed to email@example.com. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
For more information regarding this position, please contact Nan Choi, Supervising Librarian at (408) 730-7301 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For information relating to the application process contact Faye Brand, Human Resources Technician at (408) 730-3015 or email: email@example.com.
The information contained within this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
The City of Sunnyvale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the City of Sunnyvale not to discriminate against all qualified applicants or employees on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion (including religious dress or grooming practice), color, sex (includes gender, pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth, breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeeding), gender identity and/or gender expression, sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality), ethnic or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniformed service member status, marital status, family relationship, age, cancer or HIV/AIDS related medical condition, genetic characteristics and/or genetic information, and physical or mental disability. Applicants needing special accommodations for testing should submit a request to the Department of Human Resources at time of application.
Summary of Sunnyvale's Employees Association (For Full Time Positions) SEA Benefits
Summary of Service Employees International Union, Local 521 (For Part Time Positions) SEIU Benefits
Notice of CFRA (California Family Rights Act) Rights and Obligations
Closing Date/Time: Continuous