Description CASUAL HEAD LIFEGUARD
(Job Code 9410) Note: Casual non-benefited employees are limited to working no more than twenty-five (25) hours per week and no more than 900 hours in a fiscal year (July 1-June 30).
The City of Sunnyvale is seeking self-motivated, energetic, responsible individuals interested in employment as an assistant pool manager in aquatics programs serving the ages of 6 months to adults. The aquatic programs are held at various locations throughout Sunnyvale.
Essential Job Functions
As a Head Lifeguard, you will:
- Assist in directing and supervising of the safe closure of the aquatic facility
- Maintains constant surveillance over pool users and staff.
- Participates in and assists with in-service trainings throughout season
- Assist the Pool Manager with supervising, scheduling, directing, and evaluating aquatics personnel, including lifeguards, cashiers, and volunteers in the instruction of lessons, recreation swim and special events.
- Assist Pool Manager with Jr. Lifeguard program
- Open and close facility, as well as maintain a clean, safe, and orderly facility.
- Ensure staff administers swim tests to determine participant's skill level
- Ensure staff plan and implement lesson plans
- Ensure the staff complete swimmer evaluations and certificates at the completion of each swim lesson session, and help with distribution
- Assist Pool Manager in keeping daily logs of rescues and other incidents involving the administration of pool rules for all aquatic facilities
- Ensure staff set-up pool and cleanup after instruction and recreation swim
- Perform the duties of a lifeguard/swim instructor when required due to staff deficits
- Monitor, train, and coach new lifeguards
- Perform related work as required
Position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking on level, uneven and slippery surfaces, reaching, stretching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting, and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate pool equipment and tools. The position requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to monitor and communicate appropriate pool activity. The need to lift, drag, push, or pull objects weighing up to 50 lbs. is also required. Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodations.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Two (2) summers of aquatics experience as a Lifeguard/Swim instructor and one (1) year of leadership experience. Leadership experience can be from being a team captain, student council representative, or serving in a leadership role in a club, sorority, or fraternity.
- A valid American Red Cross Lifeguard/First Aid/CPR/AED Certificate
The minimum qualifications for education can be met in the following way:
Graduation from High School or the tested equivalent. Licenses/Certificates:
Possession and continued maintenance of a valid class C California driver's license and a safe driving record or the ability to supply alternate transportation as approved by the appointing authority. Desirable Qualifications:
- WSI (Water Safety Instructor) certification preferred
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Application and Selection Process APPLICATION PROCESS
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit a City of Sunnyvale employment application and responses to the supplemental questions to the Department of Human Resources. Candidates are asked to fully describe any training, education, experience, or skills relevant to this position. Electronic applications may be submitted on-line through the City's website at www.sunnyvale.ca.gov , click on CITY JOBS. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. SELECTION PROCESS
Initial review of applications will take place on March 1, 2021; qualified applicants will be invited to interview for the position. Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis with additional interviews granted on an as-needed basis. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis and information regarding next steps in the recruitment process will be sent via email. Please check your email regularly for status updates . If you have not heard back within five working days, please contact Faye Brand at: email@example.com or 408-730-3015.
Any candidate that is selected by the hiring department will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, which may consist of a background history check, as well as a medical exam(s) administered by a City-selected physician(s) before hire. Prior to starting work, all newly-hired employees will be fingerprinted to check conviction history. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose conviction history will result in refusal of employment or termination. Positions which are covered by the Department of Transportation regulations are required to submit to a pre-employment drug test and to random drug and alcohol testing.
Individuals receiving offers of employment are required to provide either proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination or receipt of a negative COVID-19 test within 7 calendar days prior to their start date. Individuals receiving offers of employment from the City who do not comply with this policy will have their offer of employment rescinded. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
For more information regarding this employment opportunity, contact Jesus Raygoza at (408) 730-7398 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org . For information relating to the application process contact Faye Brand, Human Resources Technician at 408-730-3015 or email: email@example.com .
The information contained within this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
The City of Sunnyvale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the City of Sunnyvale not to discriminate against all qualified applicants or employees on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion (including religious dress or grooming practice), religious creed, color, sex (includes gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, pregnancy, childbirth, medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth, breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeeding), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality), ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, military and veteran status, marital status, family relationship, age, medical condition, genetic characteristics and/or genetic information, and physical or mental disability. Applicants needing special accommodations for testing should submit a request to the Department of Human Resources at time of application.
No City benefits are offered with this Temporary Position.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous