Position Scope General Purpose
: Under general supervision performs installation, maintenance, modification and repair of industrial electrical systems involving process controlled industrial equipment. This is a journeymen level industrial electrician position. Much of the work is performed on or around large medium-voltage equipment such as pumps, blowers, fans transformers and other equipment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties ARE NOT
intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Performs installation, maintenance and repair of medium voltage equipment, booster stations, motors and related control equipment;
- Performs installation, maintenance, repair and troubleshooting of low-voltage and medium 3-phase voltage equipment and switch gear, other electrical systems and components;
- Locates, plans and carries out repair of system and component failures;
- Locates and repairs defects in electrical systems, which involves the performance of difficult electrical tasks;
- Install, troubleshoot and repair VFD's, Motor Soft Starts, and MCC starter buckets;
- Prepares installation and repair cost estimates;
- Troubleshoots/maintains equipment controlled by Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC);
- Prepares and maintains work records, including work orders, maintenance and repair logs, vehicle inspection forms, daily work logs, compliance reports and other documentation.
- Maintenance and operation of electrical motors.
- Assures the safe operation of equipment, systems and facilities.
- Trains and provides vocational development of subordinates.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Create or revise electrical site plans, comment and redline construction plans.
- Troubleshoots and maintains equipment used by PLC's to meter system processes.
Minimum Qualifications & Position Requirements Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or GED equivalent; graduation from a four (4) year recognized electrical apprenticeship program or school; and three (3) years' experience as a journey level electrician; and Journeyman level Electrician Certification. Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:Knowledge of:
- City policies and procedures.
- Principles, practices, methods, materials and tools used in maintenance, installation, repair and modification of industrial electrical and electronic systems.
- Safety standards and practices in the operation of electrical and mechanical equipment used in water and wastewater treatment facilities.
- Basic Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC)
- And adherence to NFPA 70 and National Electric Code (NEC), or latest applicable code
- Safety standards and practices and OSHA regulations.
- Principles of documentation, record keeping and records management.
- The use of special tools and equipment required for electrical system maintenance, repair, testing and installation, including but not limited to voltmeters, ammeters and ohmmeters.
- Establishing cooperative working relationships with others.
- Safe and efficient operation of trucks and equipment according to standard operating and safety procedures.
- Reading and interpreting work orders, customer complaints, technical and repair manuals, electrical schematics, O&M manuals, maps and general correspondence.
- Interpreting assignments from blueprints, sketches and material takeoffs.
- Following and effectively communicating verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
Additional Information Special Requirements:
Possession of a valid Arizona Driver's License; previous experience in a water/wastewater treatment plant or similar environment preferred. Occasionally, this position will be required to perform after hours, on call or emergency responses. Physical Demands / Work Environment:
Work is performed outdoors and in public facilities.
Reports To: Water Resources Supervisor/Water Resources Manager Supervision Exercised:
Employee Benefits & Wellness
The City offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time classified and management employees. Part-time classified employees may be eligible for select benefits where defined.
For complete Benefit Plan & Wellness Information, please visit the City website at:
Benefits & Wellness
City benefit plans are subject to change at any time.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous