Description General Description:
This is a paraprofessional position that performs complex technical tasks in order to determine the value of Real Estate.
Organization: The Real Estate Appraiser is part of Hanover's Career Development Program (CD). The Appraiser Ladder has four levels ranging from Real Estate Appraiser I to Senior Real Estate Appraiser. Incumbents report to the Director of Real Estate Assessments and supervise no staff. Senior level Appraisers may provide workflow guidance to lower level Appraisers.Essential Functions:
- Performs valuation of residential, commercial and/or industrial properties using the appropriate approach to value.
- Performs field inspections to verify data on existing properties or to measure and collect data on new structures.
- Review and interpret building plans, site plans, plats and deed research as needed.
- Provides customer service to citizens by addressing inquires and concerns related to property valuations and property assessment.
- Ability to access and enter data into relevant software packages.
- Collects, produces and analyzes statistical and market data in order to identify economic factors impacting property valuation.
• Conditions - Potential danger around construction sites
C. Physical Effort
D. ExemptKnowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Extensive knowledge of the appraisal field, construction practices and of building and land values is required. Must be computer literate. Familiarity with Appraisal software, desired. Ability to communicate effectively -both orally and in writing- required. Must be able to interpret information to determine property values.Education, Experience and Training:
Associate's degree in real estate or business for a level III or Bachelor's degree in real estate or business preferred for Senior level. Four (4) years experience for a level III, or six (6) years experience for Senior level, in the appraisal of real estate, preferably for tax assessment. - OR - Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable. Higher levels on the Career Ladder require additional education and experience.Special Conditions:
• Criminal Records Check, including fingerprinting
• Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License
• Work beyond normal work schedule
• Real Estate License or IAAO Coursework required at Level III
• Professional Designation and License or IAAO Coursework required at the Senior level.
• Twelve-month probationary periodSpecial Instructions to Applicants Preferred Qualifications:
Commercial/Industrial Appraisal experience preferred.
Diversified coursework in real estate appraisals above the minimum qualifications.
Experience in automated appraisal systems.
If you are selected for the position, a copy of your diploma/degree will be required.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous