Description General Description:
This is a professional position. The incumbent performs complex tasks related to the review and processing of Planning applications and may serve as the primary contact for questions regarding property information, rezoning processes, special exception and conditional use permits, and subdivisions, and site plans. Types of applications include construction plans, commercial site plans, subdivision plats, landscaping and lighting plans, rezoning requests, conditional use permits, and special exceptions. Duties involve regular contact with the public, engineers, and developers, as well as technical support to the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors.Organization:
The Planner position is part of Hanover County's Career Development Program (CD). The Planner Ladder has four (4) levels ranging from Planner I to Senior Planner II. Incumbents report to the Current Planning Manager or Principal Planner and supervise no staff. Planners may receive workflow direction from a Senior Planner and may provide guidance to a Planning Technician or a lower level Planner.Essential Functions:
- Reviews applications for approval/revision.
- Assists applicants, engineers and developers to resolve problems.
- Prepares reports and supporting graphic display materials for the Planning Commission.
- Reviews commercial, industrial, and multi-family building permits. Conducts certificate of occupancy and subdivision inspections
- Serves as primary contact for questions regarding property information, rezoning processes, special exceptions and conditional use permits, subdivisions, and site plans
- May function as the first point of contact with citizens, developers, and licensed professionals seeking assistance from the Planning Department
- May maintain meeting schedules, status of cases, and other critical reports/forms; Enters case information into computerized tracking software
- Performs the initial processing and review of applications for accuracy and completeness, prepares letter to applicants on acceptance or refusal of applications
- Presents new applications to Director and staff for review of completeness
- Performs special projects/analyses as assigned by the Director, Current Planning Manager, or Principal Planner
- Manages department website, updates content periodically, posts case information to the website calendar for Planning Commission and Board of Supervisor meetings
- Assists with site plan and subdivision inquiries and processing of applications
- Insures timely processing of applications and coordinates comments of reviewing agencies.
- Assists with review/update of Comprehensive Plan, as needed.
- Performs related work as assigned.
• None Known
• Field - Requires some travel to work sites.
C. Physical Effort
D. ExemptKnowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Requires a general knowledge of the principles and practices of urban and regional planning. Knowledge of recent developments in the field of County Planning, preferred. Knowledge of comprehensive planning, zoning, land development and engineering practices, preferred. Must be able to analyze and compile technical and statistical data. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing is required.Education, Experience and Training:
Bachelor's degree in Planning or a related field and three years of professional experience required. Master's Degree preferred; may be substituted for one year of experience. Experience reviewing zoning applications, subdivision construction plans and plats, site plans, and public customer service experience preferred. Higher levels on the Career Ladder require additional experience and education such as a Master's Degree.Special Conditions:
• Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License
• Criminal Records Check
• Work beyond normal work schedule
• Twelve-month probationary period
Revision Date: August 2020Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include a cover letter and resume.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous