Salary: $48,247.00 - $61,567.00 Annually USD
Hanover Fire EMS is recruiting to fill any new positions and to establish an applicant pool list of qualified candidates for future FF/Medic positions.
New recruits will work full time (FT) schedule to include nights and weekends; will respond to a variety of fire and medical emergencies; and operate emergency apparatus and equipment.General Description: This is a skilled, technical position. The incumbent performs routine and complex tasks to provide emergency services to include fire suppression and patient care/life support.
Organization: The Firefighter/Medic position is part of Hanover County's Career Development Program (CD). The Firefighter/Medic Ladder has four levels ranging from Firefighter/Medic I to Master Firefighter/Medic. Incumbents report to a Lieutenant and supervise no staff. Master Firefighter/Medics may serve as workflow leaders to lower level Firefighter/Medics.
• Responds to alarms of fires, hazardous material incidents, medical and
• Leads, directs, and participates in the delivery of emergency patient care.
• Examines patients, provides care and reports findings to an emergency
• Conducts fire safety inspections and pre-fire planning for commercial
• Drives/operates various types of fire/medical apparatus.
• Assures that emergency vehicles are completely stocked and in good
• Maintains cleanliness, state of readiness of stations, apparatus and all
• Performs community service activities, including fire safety
• Completes all required reports of runs made by the crew and attends
training sessions as required.
• Maintains a good relationship with staff, volunteers, law enforcement,
hospital staff and citizens.
• Fosters volunteer involvement and membership to support a combination
• Performs related work as assigned.
• Chemicals - May be exposed to conditions, including routine exposure to
severe weather, dust, smoke, noise, and fumes.
C. Physical Effort
• Must be able to perform physically demanding tasks in all weather
situations. Must be able to carry and balance up to 125 pounds (250 pounds
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must have the ability to prepare detailed written/electronic reports. Must demonstrate the ability to think/act quickly and appropriately in all situations. Knowledge of emergency care procedures/equipment, preferred.
Education, Experience and Training: High school diploma or equivalent required with related education, experience, and training desired. A satisfactory VA DMV license is required to be hired. Upon hiring,new employee must complete and pass EMT-B certification, with current CPR, before Fire Academy ends. EMT-B, CPR, and Fire Academy must be completed & passed to continue employment. All practicing advanced EMS providers must maintain current ACLS certification. Paramedics must maintain national registry certification. Continuous training required to maintain employment and/or to advance in career development. Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
• Must be at least eighteen (18) years old
• Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License
• Complete Criminal Background Investigation, to include fingerprinting
• Pre-employment Physical Examination/Drug test/Alcohol Screening/Agility
test, and repeated in accordance to policy thereafter
• Twelve-month probationary period
• Shift Work, including weekends, holidays and nights and work beyond
normal work schedule
• Essential staff designation
• Must wear uniform, including safety equipment
• May not be a member of any of the Hanover County volunteer rescue
squads or fire companies during employment
- Shall perform work at his/her VA Certified EMS provider level of training
(EMT-B, EMT-Enhanced, EMT-I, EMT-P), upon clearance by department
Operational Medical Director (OMD).
• This position is subject to the department's on-call procedures
Revision Date: August 2017
Special Instructions to Applicants
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO ALL APPLICANTS:
Please read and print all special instructions for necessary information in this process .
Candidates are required to answer all application questions.
Qualified candidates will be invited to take a written test. The written test will be an ONLINE Exam via a remote proctor. Candidates must have access to a computer with internet connection, web camera, and microphone. The online proctor will observe you as you take the written test. An E-mail address is REQUIRED to receive written examination directions, to sign up with the test proctor.
Entry-level Firefighter Candidate Study Guides may be ordered online from Public Safety Compass: publicsafetycompass.com/study at candidate's expense ($20 + S&H).
After completion of the written exam, selected candidates will be required to pass a physical fitness ability test; attend a candidate interview; and complete a full background investigation to include a polygraph test. An email address is REQUIRED to be notified on the physical fitness test; any practice session; and interview dates.
A minimum of three reference letters are required at the time of interview, along with any fire or EMT certifications.
Candidates will be required to provide a copy of their diploma/degree to Human Resources; have a County background check; a DMV license check; and pass an NFPA firefighter physical.
Entry level for Firefighter/Medic-Recruit is $48,247.00.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous