Salary: $48,246.00 - $67,473.00 Annually USD
General Description: This is a sworn position. The incumbent performs responsible protective service and human support work in providing security in the court rooms.
Organization: The Court Bailiff position is part of Hanover County's Career Development Plan (CD). The Court Bailiff has five (5) levels ranging from Court Bailiff to Court Bailiff - Career. The Court Bailiff reports to the Lieutenant-Court Services or Sergeant-Court Services and supervises no staff.
• Ensures the security and order of courtrooms prior to and during court
• Transports and supervises the movement of prisoners to and from court
and secures in holding cells.
• Transports prisoners to other jails and institutions.
• Removes unruly individuals from the courtroom.
• Searches courtroom for contraband and inmates for unauthorized
possession prior to court appearances.
• Responds and carries out all orders of the Judge.
• Serves summons, notices, warrants and capias.
• Each sworn officer in the Hanover County Sheriff's Office must maintain
the ability to perform the essential job functions of a sworn law
enforcement officer as described under the "Deputy Sheriff - Patrol" job
description, regardless of their current assignment.
• Performs related work as assigned.
• Interaction with people during stressful and dangerous situations
C. Physical Effort
• Must be able to maintain physical agility and endurance at all times
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: General knowledge of court procedures and of police methods, practices and procedures, required. Knowledge of the geography of the County, required. Ability to exercise tact and judgment in handling visitors of the court and in maintaining the behavior of prisoners. Ability to follow oral and written instruction. Ability to develop skill in the use of firearms. Ability to analyze situations and adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action.
Education, Experience and Training: High school diploma or equivalent required. Ability to successfully complete the appropriate training as prescribed by the Commonwealth of Virginia for this position. Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
• Serves as the will of the Sheriff
• Criminal Records Check, including fingerprinting
• Valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License
• Twelve-month probationary period
• Annual participation in Occupational Simulation Course
• Pre-employment Physical Examination/Drug Test/Alcohol
Screening/Agility test, and repeated in accordance to policy thereafter
• Shift work, including weekends, nights and holidays
• Work beyond normal work schedule
• Essential staff designation
• Must wear uniform
Revision Date: January 2008
Special Instructions to Applicants
PLEASE DO NOT ADD ANY ATTACHMENTS TO YOUR APPLICATION.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous