Summary WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
Working for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of one of the fastest growing communities in the nation. In 2014, our community was named "The #1 Best Place to Live in America." Although proud of that honor, everyone on our team is committed to making McKinney an even better place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist. OUR CORE VALUES
City of McKinney employees work hard and at a very fast pace. However, we also look after and support one another. All of us are guided by four employee-inspired values - Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (RISE). We are also supported by servant-based leaders who foster and support a healthy, family-oriented culture. All new employees are expected to embrace and live by our core values and commit to helping us sustain our exceptional work environment as a high performance organization. SUMMARY OF POSITION
Under direct supervision, the purpose of this position is to provide a clean, safe and comfortable workplace for City employees and Senior Recreation Center patrons. The position is responsible for cleaning offices, bathroom and locker room facilities, meeting rooms and classrooms, grounds, and performing minor repairs. This position is also responsible for daily room set-up and break-down. Performs related work as required. Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
In order for us to continue to achieve our primary function of making McKinney a better place to live, work, and raise a family, we hold these expectations for all employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Learn and demonstrate an understanding of how team, department, and City goals are interconnected.
- Contribute to a positive work culture.
- Ability to assess his/her work performance or the work performance of the team.
- Contribute to the development of others and/or the working unit or overall organization.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team, to demonstrate team skills, and to perform a fair share of team responsibilities.
- Ability to continuously learn and develop through a mix of internal and external training opportunities, and if applicable, encourage subordinates to do the same.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- All behaviors comply with the City of McKinney Employee Handbook.
- Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in city and department attendance policies and procedures.
- Cleans and vacuums all carpeted areas; offices, halls and meeting rooms.
- Sweeps, mops, cleans and stocks bathroom and locker room facilities and recreation areas.
- Takes out trash and picks up trash on facility grounds.
- Performs minor maintenance and repair, i.e., replacing light bulbs.
- Responds to emergency situations, i.e., spills, incontinence, broken windows, weather elements.
- Orders, retrieves, and delivers cleaning supplies in coordination with supervisor.
- Reports equipment malfunctions and facility maintenance needs to immediate supervisor.
- Moves furniture, set up and take down of tables and chairs, and other equipment in the performance of duties, such as in preparing for events and daily activities.
- Strip, wax and buff floors. Operates buffing machine.
- Good knowledge of routine maintenance and cleaning procedures.
- Good knowledge of the materials / equipment needed to perform routine maintenance activities.
- Skill in operating a floor buffer.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
Required Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to embrace and embody the City's core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, subordinates, and people to whom service is provided.
- Ability to produce desired work outcomes, including quality, quantity, and timeliness.
- Ability to plan and organize work, time, and resources, and if applicable, that of subordinates.
- Build professional relationships with internal staff and customers.
- Offer flexibility and adaptability, especially during times of change.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of cleaning methods, materials and equipment.
- Knowledge of heavy commercial cleaning equipment to include high-powered buffers and vacuums.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to use equipment and cleaning materials efficiently and economically.
- Ability to recognize safety hazards and concerns and take appropriate action.
- Ability to read, understand and follow written directions as well as to follow oral directions.
Six months (6) of related experience (i.e. janitorial) required. Must have the ability to read, understand and follow written directions as well as to follow oral directions. Must have the ability to pass a post-offer physical examination. A high school diploma or GED is preferred.Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Physical Demands/Supplemental PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must pass a drug screen and background check.
- Must have Class C Texas Driver's License
Tasks involve the ability to exert heavy physical effort in heavy work, with greater emphasis on climbing and balancing, but typically also involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50 pounds); may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials (up to 100 pounds). Some tasks require visual and odor perception and discrimination. WORK ENVIRONMENT
There is limited exposure to environmental conditions. Task may require exposure to strong odors and/or smoke, traffic hazards, extreme heat/cold or extreme weather conditions.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The City of McKinney is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) committed to an alcohol / drug free workplace and to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous