The Position Why join the Contra Costa County Health Services Department?
We are hiring people who can assist in our response to COVID-19. We currently have two (2) vacancies for a Clinical Laboratory Scientist to help with bacteriological, hematological, biochemical, serological, coagulation and transfusion tests. You may also perform blood counts and prepare stains, reagents, and stock solutions. Project positions are exempt from classified service and work in State and/or Federally funded project positions administered by Contra Costa County. This position is funded through the CARES Act for COVID-19 and is for a limited term based on funding. You may be released from employment once the funding ceases.
This is an exciting time to join Contra Costa County! We provide critical services in response to COVID-19. These project positions will assist the department in meeting the needs of the community. We are looking for someone who is:
What you will typically be responsible for:
- Focused on providing excellent customer service
- Able to work independently or in a team environment
- A strong communicator in writing and verbally
A few reasons you might love this job:
- Performing clinical laboratory procedures in clinical chemistry, micro-biology, hematology, immunohematology, urinalysis and phlebotomy
- Maintaining quality control statistical data related to COVID-19
- Drawing blood for COVID-19 laboratory testing and processing specimens
- Reporting patients test results verbally and in writing to members of the medical and nursing staffs
- Staining and interpreting blood smears of other biological specimens
A few challenges you might face in this job
- You will work with diverse group of dedicated individuals
- There is opportunity for continual development
- You will have a chance to make a real difference in the community
- You will work in a fast-paced work environment
- There is a high volume work load due to the pandemic
Minimum Qualifications License Required:
- Analyzing & Interpreting Data: Drawing meaning and conclusions from quantitative or qualitative data
- Reading Comprehension: Understanding and using written information
- Professional & Technical Expertise: Applying technical subject matter to the job
- Manual Dexterity: Using senses, hands, and fingers in manipulating objects quickly and efficiently
- Teamwork: Collaborating with others to achieve shared goals
- Professional Integrity & Ethics: Displaying honesty, adherence to principles, and personal accountability
- Self-Management: Showing personal organization, self-discipline, and dependability
Possession of a valid license as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist issued by the California State Department of Health. Selection Process
. Application Filing :
All applicants must apply on-line at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/contracosta and submit the information as indicated on the job announcement by the final filing date.
2. Application Evaluation :
Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best-qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the examination.
3. Hiring Interview :
Ongoing until positions are filled COVID-19 Vaccine Requirements
Please note that as of August 24, 2021, Contra Costa County enacted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement for employees. Proof of full vaccination will be required of all employees, including new hires, no later than September 30, 2021. The policy requirements can be found here: https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/72164/2021824-Mandatory-Vaccination-Policy-PDF?bidId= CONVICTION HISTORY
After you receive a conditional job offer, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you have received a conditional job offer. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with Contra Costa County. If you accept a conditional job offer, the Human Resources department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.DISASTER SERVICE WORKER
All Contra Costa County employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law. Employment with the County requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
It is the policy of Contra Costa County to consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identify, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, or other protected category under the law.