This position is responsible for assisting in the installation, maintenance and repair of the water distribution system.MAJOR DUTIES
- Assists in the maintenance of the water distribution system. (35%)
- Performs static pressure and flow pressure tests on hydrants.
- Performs preventative maintenance and repair work on water mains, fire hydrants, valves and service lines.
- Maintains rights-of-way, easements, tanks, sites, pump sites, reservoir, and WRM complex.
- Cleans out valve boxes and exercises system valves.
- Assists in the construction of the water distribution system. (35%)
- Installs new water mains, service lines, fire hydrants, valves and meter sets.
- Removes and replaces asphalt, concrete, grass, and landscaping elements.
- Sets up proper traffic control devices and flags traffic.
- Investigates and resolves customer complaints. (10%)
- Investigates and resolves customer complaints of low or high water pressure.
- Investigates and resolves complaints concerning water quality, discolored water, taste or odor.
- Investigates reports of leaks and takes appropriate actions.
- Maintains inventory, tools, equipment and vehicles. (10%)
- Properly documents the removal and use of inventory items.
- Keeps tools clean and stored in proper locations.
- Keeps equipment clean, serviced, and stored in proper location.
- Keeps the interior and exterior of vehicles clean.
- Assist in the routine maintenance and minor repair of equipment.
- Performs related duties. (10%)
- Demonstrates punctual, regular, and reliable attendance.
- Attends meetings, workshops, and training sessions.
- Provides innovative solutions to enhance current processes and procedures and/or resolve workplace issues.
- Participates in on-call rotation and responds to after-hours emergencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of City and department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the equipment, techniques and supplies used in water system construction and maintenance.
- Knowledge of City geography.
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of job-related tools and equipment.
- Skill in the operation of equipment and tools associated with water distribution system installation, maintenance and repair.
- Skill in the operation of computers and job-related software programs including wireless work order program.
- Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to operate light and heavy construction equipment.
The Utility Construction Supervisor assigns work in terms of somewhat general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with instructions and established procedures, accuracy and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include work orders; department and City policies and procedures and City of Auburn Core Values, Vision, and Mission statements. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of related water system construction and maintenance duties. Inclement weather and heavy traffic contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to assist in water system construction and maintenance activities. Success in this position ensures the provision of a well-maintained infrastructure.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, contractors, customers, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information and resolve problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light objects weighing less than 24 pounds and heavy objects weighing 24 or more pounds. The employee climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and distinguishes between shades of color.
- The work is typically performed outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
- Ability to read, write, and perform basic mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages; and
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years; or
- Possession of or ability to obtain a valid Alabama Class A Commercial Driver's License within six months of employment.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain ADEM Water Grade I Operator Certification within one year of employment.